Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Accessories > Replacement sun visors?

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Replacement sun visors?  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-20-2007 06:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
dthewlis

I am told that replacement sun visors are impossible to obtain - Delta will sell refurbished ones if you send the originals, but my car came without them at all. 

Any suggestions on where I can get replacement visors?  Barry Marshall who sold me 19299 was thinking of fitting sun visors from a Cessna but never did it.

I'd be happy with the frames for that matter, as I could then send them off to Delta...

Thanks,

Dave Thewlis

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-20-2007 07:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
colinw59

There was an almost identical posting last month. Try British Master in CA, 800-333-0461 or email at bmr@4d.net . They should have a pair that you could at least use to salvage the frames. Good luck, Colin 

Posted: 11-20-2007 07:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
dthewlis

Thanks, I will. 

Posted: 03-06-2008 12:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
dthewlis

An update.  I never had any luck with British Masters - he thought he had a pair but was never able to find them.  I finally went to Richard Appleyard in the U.K. http://www.jensen.co.uk/.  They have some new-built replicas, plus original pivots.  NOT CHEAP but if you must have the originals, they can oblige.  And they are really good to deal with. 

Posted: 01-31-2019 04:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
noomg

I had a pair of old sun visors which had turned to bags of sand which they typically do. I was going to send them to Delta for rebuild but instead I stripped them down to the frames and made new visors out of a 3/16" sheet of dark tinted plexiglass. I like this solution because it not only shields the sun but you can still see through them.

If you have no original visors to start with it would be relatively simple to fashion a set of brackets out of round 1/4" steel stock and some thin sheet metal which can be bent around the brackets to make a hinge which the plexiglass visors can be attached to.

Posted: 02-04-2019 06:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
PF18602

Glad to hear other people are doing this. Have been wanting to for a while, but haven’t gotten around to it.

Found this video of a guy that did the same on a TR (?). Theoretically should work great.

Do you have pics of your completed ones? Does the 3/16” feel stiff enough to not bend/break the plastic when you move it up and down? How much of the original parts of the frame did you reuse?

Thanks,
Patrick

Posted: 02-05-2019 05:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
noomg

Patrick,

Aftermarket plexiglass sun visors for the TR-3 are(or were) available from Moss Motors. I adapted a set for my Austin-Healey. It might be doable for the J-H, but you'd have to make a bracket for the windshield header that you could mount the visors to.

The 3/16" plexiglass is pretty stout stuff. The aftermarket visors for the TR-3 are only 1/8" thick and they work fine. What I didn't use when I made the new visors was the vinyl covers, the foam, and the shaping wire that holds the shape of the visor.

It's raining right now in sunny SoCal so when the rain stops I'll try to get it out of the garage and take some pictures.

Posted: 02-05-2019 05:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
PF18602

Thanks, noomg.

Bummer about the rain, eh? Been an 'indoor' week for us down here too. I guess we shouldn't be complaining; sorry to all of you with normal winters. Stay warm.

Good info. Looking forward to seeing pictures. No rush though, I'm sure I won't get to it for a while. I get excited about something and think I will, and then a LOT of time passes..just means I have too many side projects going on haha.

My JH came with intact visors, so I have the frames. Just need to clean them up, paint them, and find some good Lexan or plexiglass to shape, and modify the frame to fit them on. Assuming bolting through the 'glass' would be best.

Always love trying to customize and improve the original build tastefully!

Patrick

Posted: 02-07-2019 01:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Rick in Miami

I was able to adapt a pair of Spitfire/TR6 sun visors.

Posted: 02-20-2019 12:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
chrisl

You can get replacement visors from here:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Jensen-Healey-Sunvisors-1-pair/312007208296?hash=item48a5142d68:g:H14AAOSwT2daEupa

Posted: 10-10-2021 08:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
DonBurns

Again - adding to an old post about a similar subject. I appreciate any direction.

I received a set of new manufactured sun visors from Martin Robey (no core required) along with new brackets. Went out to install, thinking it would be a "half vino" project. I realize I am not certain how the things are mounted. I flipped through a few years of JHPS newsletters, but don't see a good photo of sun visor attachment.

So-

I am assuming the brackets go into the visor at the notched corner. Is that correct? The brackets have a bend in them to provide a very firm, maybe permanent fit so I don't want to start out wrong.

There are 4 machine screws that secure the "Crash Roll - Windscreen" where the visor rods could attach. Do they attach out near the doors (visors then pointing in), or in near the rear view mirror, visors pointing out?

Finally, do the rods bend slightly down, or slightly up (last bend before final bend into the actual visor)?

Thanks

Posted: 10-10-2021 10:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
redracer

The notch part of the visor goes on the outside. Hopefully, you will be able to get the machine screws out as they easily get rust on them and the square nut in the flimsy "cage" will likely spin. Assuming you do get them off okay, please clean them and GREASE THEM BEFORE PUTTUING BACK IN.[img][/img]

Attachment: J-H Sun Visor.jpg (Downloaded 78 times)

Posted: 10-11-2021 12:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
DonBurns

Thanks - that is what I needed. Yes - I got the 4 machine screws out a few days ago with some difficulty. Needed to get a large needle in it keep the square nuts from spinning, and have chased the threads with a #10-32 tap. I'll send a photo when I get the new Martin Robey units in.

Posted: 10-11-2021 10:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
DonBurns

Wow - over an hour of fiddling trying to get all four screws to catch, cross threading, re-chasing with tap, but finally got the sun visors on. My theory of why they were missing now is that PO tried to put them back on (after poor quality paint job) and finally tossed them after deciding a JH didn't really need sun visors.

Attachment: Visors.jpg (Downloaded 70 times)

Current time is 03:53 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Accessories > Replacement sun visors? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems