Home 
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Suspension > Spring Height with DMS Upgraded Springs

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
Dan Eiland

I installed the DMS upgraded springs and I'm concerned about the height of my car. Currently the car is completely stripped to bare metal, but I have rebuilt the front and rear suspensions with all new polyurethane bushings and the DMS upgraded springs. I re-installed the suspension and left all the attaching points loose for now. I will have to take it all apart again for painting so I didn't want to tighten the suspension down yet. I have noticed the car sits up very high above my new tires and wheels. Just doing a quick, and not too accurate, measurement, the rear fender sits about 4 inches above the rear tire and the front fender sits about 4.75 inches above the front tire. I'm having my fenders flared front and rear to fit my tires which are 245/45/16 in the rear on an 8 inch rim and 225/45/16 up front on a 7 inch rim. Once I have the fenders flared I was hoping the car would sit very close to the tires. This isn't going to happen. I have already had the engine and transmission in the car and there was almost no change in the height, maybe a half inch drop. From the looks of things I might need to remove the DMS springs and have them modified to drop the car to the height I want. Anyone run across this issue before?

Dan Eiland

Attachment: Slide1.JPG (Downloaded 106 times)

Jim Ketcham

Interesting.   I used DMS uprated springs on both my cars and did not see any noticable height change http://jhppg.com/gallery/album61/After4 with the car fully weighted.

My springs were purchased several years ago.  I do not know if Delta has changed the spec since then. 

Jim

Brett Gibson JH5 20497

I changed out mine along with the poly bushings last year, and only had a 1/2" rise all around, I just cant imagine how they could raise a car 4" above normal, are you sure they sent you JH springs.

Brett.

Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Something seriously wrong with that picture, Dan.  Measure and compare with the stock springs.

Last edited on 11-17-2007 12:07 am by Jensen Healey

Dan Eiland

Jim,

Your car is quite beautiful. Did you do your own body and paint work? That is the next thing on my list after I finish the fender flares and the drivetrain. I purchased my suspension parts about two to three years ago, I think. I rebuilt my suspension about a year-and-a-half ago, maybe two years and then began working on the engine. I finished rebuilding the engine earleir this year and now I'm back to the body work. I needed the body back on the suspension with my new wheels and tires so the metal guy can finish the fender flares. As one can see from my photos the car sits way too high. Maybe I can get the engine and transmission re-installed this weekend and see if that will make much of a difference. I wonder if I placed a lot of weight on the car and then torqued the suspension down if that would help? What are the collective thoughts of others?

Dan Eiland

Attachment: Slide1.JPG (Downloaded 82 times)

Dan Eiland

It seems to me that if the springs are made stronger, then it would be logical to expect them to be shorter than the originals they replace in order for the car to keep it's original height. If I recall the new springs were the same height as the old springs. This could be the problem. It would take more weight for the body to sit at the same ride height as the original springs due to the increased rating of the new springs. I may just take the springs off the car and take them to a local spring company and have them shortened. If the company I used to deal with years ago is still around they would have the equipment to resize the springs and insure the ends still fit my Jensen Healey correctly.

Jim Ketcham

Dan,

If I recall correctly, the DMS springs were just ~10% stiffer.  If your car is unweghted in the photo, then  that would account for most of your lift.  With engine and tranny, interior and tank and a few good bounces I bet the height will be very close to stock.

Jim

Dan Eiland

I'm planning on installing my engine and transmission tomorrow and I may go purchase some bags of concrete and throw them into the car and trunk to weigh the car down and see how it sits. I still would like to lower the car a bit. Not looking to get it closer to the ground just trying to get the fenders closer to the tires. Not sure how to do this. Maybe I can get the guys at the metal shop to work some of there magic.

Jim Ketcham

Dan,

Attached pic shows my white JH without engine and tranny, but with everything else except fuel in the tank.  It also has DMS uprated springs circa 2000 and superpro bushings (just installed).  Clearance above stock tire and wheel is about 4.25 inches.  Pictures in the gallery (with engine) show its height to be same as stock.

Jim

Attachment: JH no engine.JPG (Downloaded 94 times)

Dan Eiland

Jim,

Your white car is exactly what I'm dealing with. It sounds like I just need to put some weight on the suspension to get it to come down to normal height. I put my engine and transmission together yesterday and hope to place it back in my car today. I'll probably have to purchase some bags of sand or concrete mix and place them inside the car and trunk to distribute the weight and get the rear of the car to come down to the correct height. Have attached some photos of my engine and T5 conversion with my temporary wood transmission adapter still attached. After the fender flares are finished I'll take the car back to my CNC guy and have him make my transmission adapter out of structural aluminum.

Attachment: Slide2.jpg (Downloaded 76 times)

Dan Eiland

I just finished putting the engine and transmission back in my car and now I have about 2.5 inches of clearance between the tire and the fender. Does this sound about right?

Judson Manning

Dan,
Under the heading of obvious mistakes I've made; did you roll the car back and forth? Not an issue for the rear but short lower arms result in a lot of lateral movement in front when weight is added.

The greatest change in height I've seen comes from bushings, etc. The suspension will naturally settle 1/4"-1/2" after a few hundred miles.

BTW Delta advertises +10% stiffness while maintaining correct height.

Dan Eiland

As I brought up once before, my car seems to be much too high with my
rebuilt suspension. I have all new polyurethane bushings front and rear with
upgraded springs from DMS and KYB shocks. Since I'm having steel flares put
on my car to clear the wider tires and wheels, I needed the car to sit at
the finish height so I can get the correct measurements while working on the
flares. The car should have 5 inches of clearance off the ground, but my car
is more like 10 or 11 inches off the ground. I'm running 16 X 8 wheels in
the rear with Sumitomo 245/45 16 tires and I'm running 16X7 rims in the
front with Sumitomo 225/45 16 tires. There are no clearance issues in the
rear but there are some on the front when the steering is turned
lock-to-lock. These issues will be solved when I'm done modifying the