Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Convertible Top Recommendations

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Convertible Top Recommendations  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-04-2007 02:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Steve Jarvis

I'm looking for a recommendation for a new convertible top. When we bought the car it came with an EZ On replacement that had been purchased several years earlier but never installed. I ran into the same problem with the rear bar as mentioned in another post. I talked with Randy (I believe) who suggested slitting the material. This worked and we completed the install.

The next issue is that there doesn't appear to be enough material from side to side at the body behind the doors to fasten the roof with either velcro or snaps. With one side relatively in place the other side is a good 1.5" from the body. It sounds like this is one of the tops that suffered from the multiple 1/16" or cutting errors as mentioned in the other post. I'd return it but it's way past any warranty period or even knowing where it was purchased.

So still need something to keep the rain out. From what I've read either the Robbins or a Caribou Canvas tops seem to be well made and good options. Any comments or alternatives? Thanks for your input.

Last edited on 11-04-2007 08:27 pm by Steve Jarvis

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-04-2007 03:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

The EZ-On top is ill fitting, based on a shrunken vinyl top. Caribou is slow to deliver, up to 1 year in at least one case. The Robbins seems to be the only alternative at this point. 

Posted: 11-04-2007 04:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Steve Johnson

Steve,

I bought a Prestige MH top about 4 years ago and fits good and looks real nice, I got the black top with beige on the inside, which contrasts with the powder coated top frame real nice.

Steve Johnson

Santa Ana, Ca.

Posted: 11-04-2007 04:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Steve Johnson

Forgot to send website

http://www.prestigeautotrim.com

Posted: 11-04-2007 04:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Steve, are the sides of the Prestige top long enough to lay flat on the fenders so the snaps can be installed?

Does the window pull tight or wrinkle?

Does the top pull up at the corners?

How about some pictures? This would be of great help to those JH owners who haven't already wasted their money and time on an inferior top like the EZ-on.

Kurt

Posted: 11-06-2007 01:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
John Finch

I had a Stayfast top by AA Best professionally installed and am very pleased with it.  Pix on the JHP Photo Gallery, Minnesota. 

John

Posted: 11-06-2007 10:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Steve Jarvis

For interest, I called Caribou Canvas several times over the last two days with no answer. I then checked out their fax number and it is out of service. There doesn't appear to be anyone at home. Any chance they are out of business?

Posted: 11-06-2007 11:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

They seemed to be having significant problems years ago, their JH top was great once upon a time, but I would never recommend that anyone try to purchase something from them as they will most likely never see it.

Posted: 11-09-2007 11:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Steve Jarvis

Thanks for all the ideas. Ordered the Robbins and will install in the spring. Too cold to do it now.

Posted: 11-28-2007 07:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Jensenman

I have a Robbins 'pinpoint grain' top on my car, very pleased with it. I'd suggest that you add some snaps on the inside rear. I'm referring to the place on both sides where the top velcros to the body. I put 3 snaps on each side, there were already three snaps across the back when I bought the car and the top stays put.  The installation tool and snaps are available at any marine supply store.

Posted: 04-19-2010 08:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Circmand

What can I expect to pay for a top plus having it installed? Is it best to go to an upholstry shop? I have 1 close by wanted $1400 for the top plus install.

Posted: 04-19-2010 08:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

It's not cheap to get a top installed by a reputable professional these days, but that sounds a little on the high side. I know people that have paid $2.5K for a custom, hand binded, German canvas top, so it will vary. If you don't want to install a top yourself, you would certainly benefit by visiting a number of upholstry shops in your area or nearby large city and compare as best you can. Prices vary considerably by area. A Robbins top will start near $500 for vinyl and $800-1,000 for different grades of canvas. Other cheaper tops are available too, it depends what your tolerance for a good fit is. The JH had a bad master pattern from day one and the companies with good quality tops, like Robbins, have already adjusted their patterns long ago to fit real cars.

Posted: 04-20-2010 05:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
subwoofer

Rejen Classics in England sells soft tops at £220 (2009). It seems nice so far, but I haven't completed the install yet. The holes for the rear bar are large enough and match the positions of the lugs on the car.

--
Joachim

Posted: 04-21-2010 11:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Circmand

I have a lead on a hardtop can it be installed over a soft top or must the soft top be removed?

Posted: 04-22-2010 01:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Sander

Considering the low production numbers of our cars I've always been surprised that there were several hardtop manufacturers .... all of them fit without removing the soft-top. 

JH is much nicer than my TR6, that takes an hour and tools to switch tops in addition to always having to store one top or the other.

Posted: 04-22-2010 01:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

You can un-hook the back of the soft top and stow it.

Hardtops are loud and change your car from a "convertible" to a hardtop. When the sun shines you may miss the ease of the conversion. I threw my Snugtop in the dump. Nobody wanted it, even for free!

Kurt

Last edited on 04-22-2010 02:09 am by Jensen Healey

Posted: 04-22-2010 02:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Circmand

Thanks for the info guys. I realize a hardtop poses issues however I am getting it for long trips and moves only. Given we have less than 10 days of rain a year here in Bullhead City the top is never up. The hardtop will remain off and in the garage unless I am overnighting somewhere or moving.

Posted: 04-28-2010 08:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Circmand

Well I got the hardtop. It was a 4 hour drive to Yuma the longest trip I have taken so far. The trip down was great. I met fellow member Terry Chandler. He has a great collection and we spent a few hours chatting and fixing the top to fit. The trip back was not so uneventfut. Two miles from Terrys house the fuse on the fuel pump broke. A servicemember stopped and helped me push the car to a side road. Note on trips do not wera clothing too loose fitting. My shorts dropped down around my ankles making running with the car to steer very hard. Well terry came out with his tools and knowledge and did a temp fix to get me home. I missed my turnoff in Vidal CA. in the dark and ended up in some deserted town where 62 West meets I-10 and was near out of gas. There was a 24 hour cafe (no motel or gas station) where they told me of a guy who would bring gas out. Well $55 I had 5 gallons in my tank and decided to drive to the next exit Blythe and stay at a hotel. Well the next morning the drivers window would not open (I do not have interior handles so I had to slide my 5:6 260 pound frame across the car and out the passenger side. After that the trip went fine.

BTW does anyone know what to use i.e. paint etc to restore the inside of the hardtop to a single stainless color? 

Posted: 04-29-2010 01:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

I haven't used it on my hard top Int. but on plastic lawn furniture and painted white railings, but ordinary bleach turns things back to new. I'd just be very careful not to get any on the exterior black.

Brett

Current time is 08:41 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Convertible Top Recommendations Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems