Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Clutch Cable Installation--Help!

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Clutch Cable Installation--Help!  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-27-2007 08:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
j4jacob

For some reason, the shop manual I have doesn't cover clutch cable installation very well.  Since the old one had snapped I had no trouble removing it but the installation of the new one at the pedal end has me scratching my head.  Iv'e tried to get my hand up into the pedal box from the floor board but it is VERY tight up there.   Can the cable retainer be removed/reinstalled with a very long needle nose plier?  If this approach is not viable I see no other way than to pull the entire pedal box forwad into the engine bay.  I'm reluctant to unbolt the pedal box because I don't want to break the seal and I don't want to disconnect the brake lines to the master cylinder unless of course I must.

Any advice on the best/easiest way to get at this is most appreciated!  Albert 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-28-2007 03:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Steve Jarvis

I went through the same process for several hours one night to figure out how to replace the clutch cable. The only solution I came to was to remove the bolts from the housing and pull it out several inches. You also need to unbolt the the brake balancing unit from the wheel wheel. This saves removing the brake lines from the master cylinder and bleeding the lines.

You will find that when the housing comes out the pin for the cable is held in place by a clip that needs to be compressed in order to remove the pin. It is not physically possible to do this without removing the housing. On the new clutch cable I had, the ball that slips through the connector was too large. I ground it down with a dremel tool until it slipped through. Have fun. Steve

Posted: 10-31-2007 01:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
j4jacob

Thanks Steve!  Once you put me on the right course, it wasn't a bad job, just a bit fiddly and time consuming.

Most appreciated....Albert

Posted: 06-06-2008 01:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
D.Drake

Steve
just saw your response to Albert .I had thought  I would have to remove the pedal box in order not to kink the brake lines and still get enough room to work on the clevis pin .
Thanx
 David

Posted: 06-20-2020 08:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Sean Burke

Does anyone have a picture of where the clutch cable routes/attached at the front of the oil pan just under the crank pulley? Any picture/help would be appreciated

Posted: 06-20-2020 09:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
discogodfather

My cable is attached via a bolt clip to the block just above the pan. It has some rubber tube to help with heat.

Posted: 06-21-2020 01:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Jim Ketcham

On the 74 JH the clutch cable attaches to the PDWA on top and the front of the timing belt cover spacer stud below. The rubber tubes are for abrasion protection on the oil pan.

Attachment: C9AA992F-A22B-4308-A60E-51300950BB29.jpeg (Downloaded 50 times)

Last edited on 06-21-2020 07:26 pm by Jim Ketcham

Posted: 06-21-2020 02:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Jim Ketcham

Sorry, I can't seem to attach photo no matter how small I make it.

Posted: 06-21-2020 02:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Jim Ketcham

I seem to be having a bad day at communicating. I meant to say timing belt cover NOT “fan shroud”. Sorry about that.

Posted: 06-21-2020 02:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Sean Burke

Thank you for the pics. One more item I can put on and cross off the list after my motor rebuild!

Current time is 11:18 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Clutch Cable Installation--Help! Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems