Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Delco Remy Alternator  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-19-2007 03:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Rob Rawe

While reinstalling the modified existing tach that would work with the Electromotive HPV-1 distributorless ignition , & following their tech's recomendations on how it should be wired in , upon start up the ignition light came on & continues to stay on.

So I remove the alternator & take it to a alternator repair shop, after testing it they said it was only producing 28A, & that the rectifier or some of the diodes were bad.

They called some of their part suppliers, but no luck finding the rectifier.

I tried doing search online for a Delco replacement Using the seven digit part # that was stamped on the case where the two halves joint on the DELCO REMY site to see if they had a cross reference  to a newer model , but nothing would come up because all their part #'s  required eight  digits.

Can any one provide info for a Delco alternator that will work for & mount to J.H.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-19-2007 10:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

http://www.jhps.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=jhps&Product_Code=91817DR&Category_Code=ELE

Posted: 10-19-2007 11:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Dan (Florida)

I converted a year or so ago to a single wire Delco unit my rebuilder suggested.  You can check out photos  in the gallery under florida cars, Dan in Ormond Beach.  He didn't give a model number but said it was common to most GM autos.  It was a snap to install  and has only one wire straight to the battery positive.  I had continuous problems with the British unit, mostly with the  third world regulators falling apart in a week.  The new  unit is bullet proof and can be replaced at any parts store,  Mine was a rebuild for $75.

hth

Dan

Posted: 12-22-2007 03:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
mcguan.2

I have a '76 Jensen GT that is missing the alternator and battery, among other things. I haven't heard good things about the original rebuilt alternators, and after reading this thread, it seems that there is an American AC Delco replacement alternator that I could use. However, looking at the pictures in the gallery, it's kind of vague and it appears that it's not an exact fit. Any help here? If I can get the alternator and battery for the GT, I can fire it up at least and see what else I need to do.

Posted: 12-23-2007 07:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Judson Manning

Early 907 variants utilized an AC Delco alternator that I think was a fairly common unit a la Vauxhall parts bin.  Post 1974 roadsters (and all GTs) used a slightly more powerful Lucas alternator with the same bracketry. 

A revision to the accessory housing post 1975 allowed an interchangeable bracket for the alternator to allow clearance for the a/c drive system.  Later Elite, Excel and Esprit engines use a more modern looking (i.e. typical GM) alternator with different bracketry

Check ebay.  I saw today an AC Delco unit listed for $40 and I'm sure Bruce Madden as well as other 'collectors' have plenty of used alternators lying about.

As far as modern replacements, few alternators out there have the 'double-ear' design requiring some custom bracketry to graft such a unit to the 907 accessory housing.  One possible option is the alternator from the early Nissan 240SX.  While strolling in the junk yard one day I took some measurements and it looked close, but I haven't yet had the time to pull one and do some experiments.

Posted: 01-01-2008 10:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
mcguan.2

Thanks for the help. I picked up that alternator off ebay. Now I have to buy a battery before I can attempt to fire her up. Will the regular auto store be able to find me one, or is there a particular model I'll need? Anything special I need to know?

Posted: 05-02-2008 08:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Frank Schwartz

I think the correct battery is a 51R.  And would be interested in an exact number of the GM alternator used to replace the old wimpy Lucas alternator in a 73 JH I am working on.  Bracketry etc...
And since it is a one wire unit, what about the wire that goes to the ignition light on the dash??? Is that disabled or how is it connected with the one wire alternator?
Regards to all,
Frank

Current time is 07:20 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Delco Remy Alternator Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems