Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

I started my project engine last weekend (yippy!) for the first time and things are going pretty well so far. The engine sounds great. Few problems with the exception that the timing sprocket decided to start grinding itself into the auxuillary housing, grrr.

This is basically a stock engine that I have rebuilt and it has all the stock Stromberg & emission stuff attached (don't even ask). My problem is that I've only just noticed that I have a vacuum leak from a strange brass tube that is only on the rear Stromberg, underneath, in back, pointing down to the engine, next to the intake manifold. It is clearly part of the emission/vacuum circuit that would appear to be a vent for the rear float chamber. My old JH didn't have that tube. I have several sets of Strombergs piled up and none of them have that tube either. I'm stumped, does anyone have any idea where/what that brass tube should be connected to on the factory set up?

Judson Manning

Greg,

My suggestion is to block-off this vacuum port as most of the emissions control systems operated poorly when new and tend to make troubleshooting problems that much more difficult.

With regards to the sprocket grinding its way into the accessory housing; there is a snap ring on the shaft just behind the sprocket that is designed to keep that kind of thing from happening.  Yeah, I forgot to put that little guy on one of my early engine rebuilds...

Judson

Greg Fletcher
Administrator

No way, emission stuff works great!

There was a snap ring behind the sprocket, but I guess it lost its tension and the sprocket pushed it out and back into the oil seal. A very annoying problem that I've never heard of. I didn't replace it at rebuilt time as it looked ok. I called Delta to get another and all they had was a used one, so another used one it is.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems