Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Installing Automatic in JH

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Installing Automatic in JH  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 09-02-2007 09:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Dan Eiland

Has anyone installed an automatic transmission into a JH using the original Lotus engine and drivetrain? My son has shown some interest in driving my JH when I'm done, but he wears a prostetic leg and it would be much easier on him if I had an automatic in my car. I would need to find something that would be small enough to fit through the tunnel and still attach to the JH bellhousing. I know Lotus had a few automatic cars with the 907 engine but I have heard these were dogs and did not hold up well. Any input is welcome.

TIA,

Dan

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-03-2007 10:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Tony Hollart

Vauxhall produced a  Viva Magnum which had a slant 4 cylinder 1800 cc engine that was mated up to a Borg Warner TH180 3 speed automatic. The basic comparing I did with the 907 engine and the auto gearbox showed that it would not be that difficult to put an auto onto the 907. The cranks used for the 907 engine I believe are sourced from Vauxhall through the 70's. It is well documented that Lotus knew that it is the breathing and the head that gives an engine the performance so the head was developed on the slant 4, 2000 cc engine that found its way into Bedford CF vans and Vauxhall Victors etc of the late 60's and 70's. Then production of Lotus 907 engines with the wet sleeve got underway and the 4 valve head and double overhead cam fitted straight on. The engines share very closely the cylinder head studs, bore centres, crank, but so many other things changed with the oil pump and distrubuter. On the Vauxhall engine they put the distributor on top of the engine so you could see it and adjust the points! Lotus took a different approach.

You can have the TH180 but the postage  might be a killer, can do photos if you want.
Tony H.

Last edited on 09-03-2007 10:26 am by Tony Hollart

Posted: 09-03-2007 01:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Dan Eiland

This is good information Tony, thanks. Any idea where I might find all the parts from the engine back? i.e.-bellhousing, flywheel, torque converter, shifter, etc., etc...

Posted: 09-03-2007 04:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Judson Manning

Dan,

There was an Excel variant with an Automatic. 

Judson

Posted: 09-03-2007 08:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Dan Eiland

Anyone have an idea where to look for parts in the USA? If they made the 2.2L Excel with an automatic then this would probably be the one to use for my car. I think I'll still have the adapter made for my Ford 5 speed to mate to my early Excel bellhousing just in case I continue with this conversion. But, I am definitely interested in finding all the parts from an Excel automatic. If anyone has knowledge of such a beast in the USA please let me know.

Posted: 09-04-2007 10:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Tony Hollart

The Viva magnum shared the same front cross member, steering rack, shocks, 10 inch brakes, anti- roll  bar etc,  hence the reason I purchased a complete car for useful parts.  I was told early on that you use the  1800 cc engine if you want to do the 2.2 l engine upgrade yourself rather than  buying in the kit. The 2.0 l engine runs really well so I have not gone any further about going to 2.2L. The flex plate would bolt onto he standard 907 crank shaft and the bell housing bolts onto th 907 engine also.

As to where would you find one in America, I do not know. Did you get the Rover  SD1 2600 or V8 3500 at all, I think this had a TH 180. To fit a auto to a JH would change the character of the car a lot. If I was really contemplating doing it I would probably do the unspeakable and replace the engine and gearbox together. A MX5 engine and gearbox or Toyota RAV 4 or something from earlier generation BMW 316's or 318. The Peugeot 504/505 was another slant 4 engine, The Audi Quattro was on quite a good slant also ( Mind you this had a 5 cylinder engine ). The heart of a JH is the free reving Lotus 907 engine but even  hearts can get replaced with good results.
The front cross member would not need too much modication and if done carefully the engine mount brackets, 907 engine, gearbox and drive shaft could be stored to be put in at a later date again.

I will get some photos of the auto this weekend and post. Tony H.

Last edited on 09-04-2007 10:14 am by Tony Hollart

Posted: 09-07-2007 10:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Sylva

Dan

There was automatic Elite from 1976 used a 3 speed Borg Warner type 65 transmission

Eclat automatic was the type 524. I assume the same box, These used a 907 engine.

The Excel used a 912 engine, you would be better off looking for an early Elite or Eclat,  the Auto's cost a few bndred Ponunds in the UK.

The Excel auto is a good sytem, I was offerde one a few months back, the guy had no  problems with the box, but hated the engine.

Best Kelvin

Posted: 09-07-2007 07:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

I used to own a Rover 3500S V8, I'm thinking that had a Borg Warner type 35 automatic (that had one crazy kick-down when you jumped on it!). The type 65 was found in, among other splendid things, Triumph TR7's if you can believe that. I think Rimmer Bros. in the UK has new type 65's with torque converters for around $900.

Current time is 11:11 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Installing Automatic in JH Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems