VIN 17976
5-speed
Dellorto carbs (not sure if 40 or 45)
Euro cams (not sure which type)
Engine runs
All electrics work
Car is driveable
Needs top, interior, and surface repair

Assuming no major panels need replacement, I was thinking $1,000.  The car is pretty rough.  If any panels need replacing (pans, rockers, etc.) but chassis rails are good, then perhaps $500-750.

Below are some pics.  Please give me your feedback, and thanks much!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-15-2007 11:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Joel

There are guys here with more experience than I - but I have 2 - one running and one waiting to tear down.  I think you need to ask yourself if you're into it for the experience of doing a restoration or if it's an awesome car that you want to drive.

If you're dying to do a restoration - give him 500 bucks and knock yourself out.

If you just think it's a damn cool car and can't wait to drive it around there are a bunch of really reasonably priced cars on this site's "marketplace".  Some of them have been listed for quite a while and I'm sure are negotiable.  At the end of the day you're going to have a lot more $$ info your restoration than if you just bought one of these other cars that's running.

Of course, I have one sitting here that I can't wait to tear apart and put back together - just because I want the project.  I'll never get out of it what I put into it but I just want to do it for the experience. 

I'm sure you'll get some sage advice from others but take a close look at what's for sale here - you might find something.

Posted: 08-16-2007 12:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

Joel has some excellent points. $500 does seem like a fair price for this one. If it has a gang of rust, move on to the next one. Rust in floor pans is common and typically not a major issue if it's localized and hasn't effected the frame or rockers.

Spending more on a car that's in better condition will not only give you a nice driver, but you can also start a rolling restoration. This lets you tackle smaller jobs and put the car in better condition without the frustration of having a car laid up for ages waiting for parts, money and time to mess around with it.

Posted: 08-16-2007 12:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Dan (Florida)

If it's all  he says it is and not too many surprises, I would be very tempted at anything $1000 or under.  The engine /  drive line would be worth that .  All old cars present a myriad of problems and we're all probably not that far off from having to buy 2 cars to make one usable.  If it works out you will have a very enjoyable vehicle  and you will find there is plenty of advice here.

Posted: 08-16-2007 03:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
smcmanus

Jensen Healey values are certainly in the toilet, but I didn't know they were that worthless.  Last year a 5 speed car here in KY was listed on ebay.  I looked at the car and it was a serious project.  I bid $1500 but was outbid and it sold for more than $4000.  I'd give a thousand for the one you're looking at right now.  

If you want a car to drive, buy one that's ready to roll.  If you want a project and can do the work yourself, this might be a good project for you.  If you are going to have someone else work on it, forget it.  Very few people know about these cars, and the cost will far exceed the value of the car.  If you pass on it, please send me the seller's contact information.

Have a nice day

Steve

Posted: 08-16-2007 04:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
qsalexander

Thanks to everyone for the info; much appreciated.

I was basing the $1,000 off what asking prices for other JHs are on this site, eBay, and other internet postings.

$2,500-3,000 seems to get you a nice running car with a good body and mechanicals, in need of a few repairs and cosmetics.

$3000-4000 seems to get you a nice running car with some level of paint and/or interior restoration.

$4,000 + seems to get you a pretty well sorted "driver."

I'm waiting on more info about the car.  I'll post it ASAP, and thanks again to everyone for their input.  If I take the plunge, this site will be my home away from home.

Posted: 08-16-2007 09:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

The car runs. drive it and evaluate it's mechanical state.

Check for rust in the rockers. Jack up each corner and see if the door gaps change. Remove the chrome or painted door sill and poke with screwdriver.

I still have some spares around here you may need like a steering wheel and rear bumper.

Throw the top away and drive!

Kurt

Current time is 08:38 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Need help evaluating a car Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems