Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Uni-Syn Balancer  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-01-2007 12:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Steve Jarvis

I bought a Uni-Syn balancer to synchronize the carbs and followed the instructions included.

I've not been able to get a reading with the unit unless the engine is running at 1600 rpm or better. This reading is minimal and only with the centre piece turned in about as far as it will go. Very hit and miss process.

There is absolutely no movement of the float when the car is idling.

Am I missing something? Thanks for any input.

Steve

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-01-2007 10:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Dan (Florida)

check the little pipe that  goes into the side of the unysin to make sure it isn't blocked.  I had one once that was with worse results than that.  I think that it's also a good idea to blip the throttle with the air cleaners off and watch both slides  to see if they move the same.  With both carbs adjacent you can observe  quite a bit even without a unysin.

hth     Dan 

Posted: 08-01-2007 04:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

If you have Dellorto Carbs, (did Canadian cars have Dells?) the Unisyn is not sensitive enough to take decent readings. It also alters the operation of the engine because it blocks the airflow to the cylinder being measured. Search for 4 tube manometer in old posts.

The Strombergs two cylinders per carb make the Unisyn readings possible. If you need to, adjust the carbs at 1600 rpm and reduce the idle afterwards.

Posted: 08-01-2007 09:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Steve Jarvis

The pipe is not blocked and the float does move. The carbs are Strombergs and as much as my son would like the Dellortos we're going to stick with these for a while.

It just seems there is not enough air moving through to pull the float up. At 1800 rpm with the centre piece closed down the float moves up to the first mark. The issue with this is the air flow is so restricted the motor starts to die out.

Posted: 08-01-2007 10:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Steve Jarvis

I think I have resolved the problem. The cap on the top of the Unisyn does not have a proper seal so there is a leak between the two tubes. I didn't notice the gap previously and there is enough room to slip in about 3 sheets of paper. Trust the replacement will do the trick.

Posted: 08-02-2007 02:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Judson Manning

I threw away my Unisyn years ago and find balancing the carb by ear is much more effective.  Of course you need to be sure both carbs are in good working condition regardless of technique.  Anything else wrong with the engine makes balancing the carbs a moot exercise.

The manual details how to get an initial setting using the balance screw.  After that, it's just a question of blipping the throttle and making minute adjustments until both carb sound about the same.

Posted: 09-01-2007 03:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
pbahr

Steve,

If you insist on using such a tool, throw away the UniSyn and buy a Schleyer from JCWhitney for $29.99.  Cataloge # 882792.

No problems, mate.

YELODOG

Posted: 09-06-2007 08:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Frank Schwartz

I had two of those floating ball jobs and they performed so badly that I gave them away.
I bought (at of all places from J.C. Whitney) a German made unit that actually has a
dial gauge on it and can be adjusted to read at idle or higher RPMs, too. .  I can actually breathe through it
and it will give a reading.  It's about thirty bucks and worth, at least to me, three times
that.    I can give you the J.C. Whitney stock number if you really want a gauge you can
easily read and you don't have to have the engine revved up to get a reading...
Why people hang with that floating ball thing is beyond me.  I had to have the engine
revved up to get a reading on either of the units and at idle, to get a reading, it almost
choked the engine to a stop.....  they are no longer in my shop and I am so glad.....

Posted: 09-19-2007 01:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Steve Jarvis

I found it on their site and it is en route. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have it now and finally had a chance to try it out. Much nicer than the uni-syn. Very sensitive as the needle moves with only an 1/8 to a 1/4 turn of the adjustment screw. Both carbs are no balanced and it seems to run much smoother. Thanks again.

Last edited on 10-28-2007 09:58 pm by Steve Jarvis

Current time is 10:12 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > Uni-Syn Balancer Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems