Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Idling @ 2500 RPM  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-31-2007 01:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jensen4u

I started my JH up saturday after 5 years of storage and I can not seem to get the idle down to a resonable level. I have topped off the damper fuild and changed the bowl o-rings. Everything externally seems to be actuating properly. I do not think I need to change any settings on the carb as these settings should not have changed during the storage time and it was running fine when placed in storage. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-01-2007 10:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Dan (Florida)

I think I would put a timing light on it and check to see if it was stuck on full advance. If not, put a vacuum gauge on and check for low vacuum (air leak) should be around 17". A likely spot is the distributor vacuum line.

hth  Dan

Posted: 08-01-2007 03:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

How about the carb. butterfly's not fully closing, 5 years is enough time for them to gum up a bit, slide the piston's up and spray some cleaner in there, cant hurt.

Brett

Posted: 08-02-2007 12:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
jensen4u

Thanks for your replies. I looked into it further tonight and used carb cleaner as suggested and verified the vaccum advance has been disabled. Hooked a timing light up and got her set at 12^ as suggested throughout this board as I have installed pertronix conversion kit on her. She was still running fast so I looked closer at the idle screws and notice niether were touching. All of a sudden I realized that the new reusable valve/cam cover gaskets are thicker than the original. Sure enough the throttle cable was retaining tension. I adjusted this out and reset the throttle screws and bam she is idling at 8-900. She is still running a bit rough and rich as cam be so next will be to adjust and balance the carbs. I have never done this so it too will be a learning experience. Thanks again for your time and advice.

Current time is 10:37 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > Idling @ 2500 RPM Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems