Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Engine Supports  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-23-2007 06:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
j23mau

My old tranny is out.  The tunnel is badly damaged, with golf ball size holes near where the seat supports are.  I am going to do a quick fix and have someone weld in a steel plate to cover the holes (new pans next year). 

Seems easy enough, but I am moving this weekend almost 110 miles into Illinois from Iowa. 

I am curious what suggestions everyone has for moving the car and engine without the tranny.  If I HAVE to install the tranny, then take it out again I can, but would much rather do it once. 

My Worries are that it is pushing the fan into the radiator and that the oil pan is sitting on the cross member.  I don't want either one to break or crack, but especially not the pan.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-24-2007 10:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Joseph Mazurk

Jeremy,

I understand your plight. perhaps there is a way to get some steel 1x1/4 and bolt through to the engine and attach them to the body bulkhead. Then plug the holes on the bulkhead at a later date.

How did you like driving that Interceptor at the Rockford, Illinois car show?

Joseph Mazurk

Chicago

Posted: 07-25-2007 06:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Ron Earp

I'd get some cinch straps, the type you use to tie a car down, and tie it down fore and aft. This way it could simply sit on the motor mounts and not rock fore or aft.

Ron

Posted: 07-28-2007 02:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
j23mau

Got the old tranny back in.  Hey Ron, when you blew out the drive shaft, did you have to straighten the body at all?  Looking from the underside of the car, it looks like the driveshaft and tranny are not in line! 

Did you have that issue as well?  Should I look for a new body, or can a new/used tunnel get welded in and be sufficient?

Posted: 07-28-2007 08:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Ron Earp

I think that you will find that your driveshaft, diff, and transmission won't form a perfectly straight line. I know mine did not. Now, I've not seen many JHs but I did look at two stock donor cars that had the drivetrain and they were the same. Seems that the stock pinon input flange doesn't exactly line up in the center of the tunnel.

I think the answer is "they all do that" but I might be mistaken. All I know is mine did and the two I looked at looked to be an inch or so offset as well.

I've not repaired mine or looked at it since Feb. Don't want to!

R

Current time is 03:31 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Engine Supports Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems