Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
5 speed toyota  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-19-2007 09:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
j23mau

Can anyone elighten me on what make and model the toyota 5 speeds came out of?  I am just beginning to look into going that route and wanted to price them out.  Also anyone have experience with the convesion kit?

Can you use the same driveshaft or what does that require?

Any help is appreciated. It may be a while before I get mine running again, but want to look at options.

And as my dad will tell you I did have fun driving it while it lasted.  But now I am going to pay for it!  And yes it was worth it.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-19-2007 11:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jim Ketcham

You will need mid 80s Toyota Supra (Non-Turbo) W8 transmission.  I believe it is described pretty well in the info for the conversion kit in the Club Store.  You will need the extended shifter housing.  Conversion components calls for the 530mm extended housing.  I found that 530mm is still approximately 1/2 shorter than the stock 4 speed shifter location.  I found that all the Supras I checked had the 515mm extension housing.  I finally had a machine shop cut several and extend them and the shifter linkages to 540mm so that the shifter position would match that of my JH 4 speeds.

You will also need: input shaft extension so the input shaft reaches the spigot bearing, nose cone extension so the throwout bearing doesn't fall off the nose cone shaft (this will require machining the nose cone of the transmission that you find to accept the press fit extension, speedo cable for the supra, bell housing for Supra to 907, and a shorter drive shaft customized to fit the Supra output shaft, and the custom support bracket for the Supra transmission.

I don't think I forgot anything, but I would not bet on it.

Jim

Posted: 07-20-2007 04:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
pbahr

I don't know the details of the offering, but would it not be easier just to get the Toyota 5spd from the Club Store and not worry about the nits?

YELODOG

Posted: 07-20-2007 08:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Harkes

I agree with yelodog. If your engine is a stock 2.0L or upgraded 2.2L but still has the 907 flywheel then go to the http://www.jhps.com and check out the Supra conversion kit. It has all you need for the conversion including clutch pressure plate and driven plate etc.  You can get it yourself direct from Conversion Components in New Zealand, but Greg already has gone through this hassle for you.

The supra 5 speed gearboxes come in W55, W56, W77 and W58. You would want the W58. Its 5th gear reduces your rpm by 1000 rpm while cruising at highways!

The W58 are rare. You can get one through the JHPS. Those are thouroughly checked and with new bearings etc. But they come at a cost too.

If you want to find one yourself then check for the cars Jim mentioned (Toyota Supra non turbo mid 80'ies) but you could also check Lotus Excels or websites that sells parts for Lotus Excel. The Excel came fitted with the Supra W58 gearbox!!

This is where mine W58 comes from. (check-out LotusBits in the UK for example)

Now bear in mind that the conversion kit does NOT come with the extended gear shifter housing!! So find a W58 with the correct extended 530mm shifter housing, which is alsmost impossible by the way. If you don't find one with the correct shifter housing just call conversion components (Colin Dray) and he'll get you one in exchange for the one you have. Then also ask for 2 new gaskets as you need to open up the gearbox.

if you purchase your W58 from Greg then make sure he supplies you one with the 530mm shifter housing fitted. Then you are set.

One more thing. Most likely you need to drill new holes for the x-member to fit to the car. AND the x-member included in the Conversion Kit in my opinion is not an ideal fit. I used my OEM 4 speed x-member. Its perfect.  I didn't drill new holes, but welded a plate on the base of the OEM 4 speed x-member, fitted it to the existing 4 bolts and the W58. Not the best solution, but it works (plate was 6 cm wide, 1 cm thick and i believe 9 cm long) as the plate will bend albeit a little. Best solution is to drill new 4 holes right underneath the rubber mount.

The 530mm shifter housing is indeed somewhat short, but when you bend the gear shifter stick you will be fine. Check-out Dan on http://www.jhppg.com , he did this and has pictures for you included. I had the straight short shifter stick from the Excel and i had it altered/welded to fit the car (i could make a picture for you if you need one)

if you have any further questions don't hesitate, do ask.

Last edited on 07-20-2007 08:14 am by Harkes

Posted: 07-22-2007 12:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Judson Manning

We chatted about developing a kit from scratch quite some time ago:

http://www.jensenhealey.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=498&forum_id=2

Posted: 07-23-2007 04:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Scott Robinson

Hi Jeremy.

I have a W58 (that at least appears to be in very good condition) from an 82 Supra that's been sitting in my closet for four years now.

Judging by that lack of progress, I suspect I won't get around to making the conversion I had planned, so I'll offer it to you (or anyone who will come get it in Kansas City) for $250. My understanding was Conversion Components can provide the extended linkage for something like $150.

Scott

Posted: 09-26-2007 10:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
James Wilson

I used my OEM 4 speed x-member. Its perfect.  I didn't drill new holes, but welded a plate on the base of the OEM 4 speed x-member, fitted it to the existing 4 bolts and the W58. Not the best solution, but it works (plate was 6 cm wide, 1 cm thick and i believe 9 cm long) as the plate will bend albeit a little. Best solution is to drill new 4 holes right underneath the rubber mount.

Sounds good. DO you have a photo you could post?

Thanks.

James

Posted: 05-28-2011 05:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
StevenD57

Harkes wrote: The W58 are rare. You can get one through the JHPS. Those are thouroughly checked and with new bearings etc. But they come at a cost too.
W58 transmissions are NOT rare in the US. I just picked one up from a local junk-yard (wrecking yard) the other day for very cheap. What is rare in the US is the bellhousing that lets you fit one. These are nearly impossible to come by in the US.

Current time is 02:16 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > 5 speed toyota Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems