Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Seating the CAM Covers  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-13-2007 05:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jensenjoe

I'm hoping to eliminate oil leaks by seating these CAM covers properly once and for all.

I bought the rubber cam cover gaskets from the club boutique and started reading all the topics here relating to this subject.

One of the postings suggests to put the gaskets on dry. However, I noticed that the cam head mating surface is very rough.  In fact, some of the spots are much higher than others. This does not look normal to me. 

Shouldn't these surfaces be really smooth in order for the gaskets to seat properly? 

If so, what is the best way to make them smooth? ...how about using a file to smooth it out?

I am eagerly awaiting feedback on this subject.

Joe (VIN #19621)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-13-2007 10:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Yes, I used a file on mine with success.

Posted: 07-14-2007 09:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jon Plowe

If we all had a £/$ for every time we have said that we would sort out the cam leaks once and for all!! If you just think of it as every puff of smoke is just the engine reassuring you that it still has oil in it then it doesn't seem so bad. Some better advice might be to tighten the bolts more than the suggested torque - but not too much so as to warp the covers

Posted: 07-14-2007 10:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
jensenjoe

My brother-in-law owns an Austin-Healey Bugeye and a friend of mine restores old British motorcycles. They both tell me this, "You must be out of oil if you don't see an oil leak".

The attached picture shows my situation.

Attachment: 2007-07-11_jensenhealey_engine_7a.jpg (Downloaded 73 times)

Posted: 07-15-2007 10:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Ron Earp

Use lots of gasket sealer. Torque the bolts as much as it takes.

No matter what, you'll still have leaks. I resovled to fix it on my Esprit, no dice. Ditto the Jensen.

It is a poor design, pure and simple.

Posted: 07-16-2007 07:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Harkes

just be careful, the covers are just aluminium and easily crack when you overtorque. Try to file/sand the cam housings, then use a gasket sealer as Ron suggested, put the rubber gaskets on, put on the covers and torque according to the manual. (not just to the torque specification, but there is a special order in torquing down all the bolts).

I used the rubber gasket and a gasket sealer and i had no leaks at all. Well at least not near the covers.....   :)

My recently built 2.2L engine however has the later style design Lotus Cam covers. These don't leak at all and are much easier when you need to get to the cams (for valve adjusting for example).

good luck

erik

Last edited on 07-16-2007 07:53 am by Harkes

Posted: 07-16-2007 11:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
jensenjoe

My first undertaking was with the intake cover. I got rid of the cam head imperfections using a file and then seated the gasket dry. This seems to work so far. WOO HOO HOO! ...but only time will really determine its grace.

I filed just enough to get rid of the really bad spots and then smoothed out a few other spots that looked like they could use it. Then the cover was torqued down to just where the gasket started to sqeeze out.

Now it's on to the exhaust side. Hope this goes just as smooth. I will keep you all posted on the progess.

Thanks for all the helpful comments!

Joe 

Current time is 03:02 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Seating the CAM Covers Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems