Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Thermostat Neck  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-11-2007 11:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Tim Knowlton

can anyone tell me is the GT thermostat neck completely different than the JH5 neck. I have seen them before but do not remember if the neck is the same as my JH5. In addition I would like to find a GT neck for my car and am wondering if anyone has an extra and will it fit my car??

Thanks for the help.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-12-2007 12:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Judson Manning

Tim,

Sometime post 1974-1/2 (aka JH5) the thermostat housing changed from pointing forward to pointing toward the passanger side of the engine compartment.  As with most running changes, it's hard to say exactly when this occured.

A 1975 California JH parts car of mine had this passanger pointing thermostat housing and the attached photo of a GT shows the same.  This housing is a favorite of mine as finding a 90^ hose locally is fairly easy.

Judson

Attachment: GT.Engine640.jpg (Downloaded 113 times)

Posted: 03-02-2013 05:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
mdutch

What do we do about heavily corroded cooling necks? Mine's so pitted, I'm concerned about leaking. Is there a replacement available?
--Mark JH 19354

Posted: 03-02-2013 11:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Art DeKneef

Not that I remember anyone mentioning in finding a replacement. The necks from the later JHs and the GT are what most people like. For exactly the reason Judson mentioned. Hose replacement.

Finding a side facing neck will probably be pretty hard. But now that I have said that, watch one pop up on eBay for a ridiculous amount of money.

Art

Posted: 03-03-2013 02:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I may have one for you Mark, I'll check the pile and get back to you.

Posted: 03-03-2013 07:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
mdutch

So I assume the newer side-facing outlet allows use of a (presumably easier to find) 90 hose instead of the S-curve of the forward-facing fitting?
Now that the water pump is off, I need the (even more corroded) lower tube as well. Does anyone know if Delta carries either of these fittings in NOS? I'd happily buy a used of either part in good condition.

Last edited on 03-03-2013 07:56 pm by mdutch

Posted: 03-04-2013 08:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Just wondering if you cleaned up your radiator neck. The casting is 3/16" thick. I found my spare and it was in poor condition. It was covered with deposits inside and out and looked like a item from a shipwreck. After a few minutes at the wire wheel and many more cleaning the inside, it looks good with plenty of life left in it.
The engine I removed this from has sat for 20 years and the entire inside was full of hard deposits that had to be removed with a hammer and screwdriver. There is no radiator or water pump that can cool an engine in this state. I pulled the piston liners and got everything super clean.
My local radiator shop showed a 4 core for the JH so I had them put it in. No cooling issues since then.

Posted: 03-05-2013 10:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
mdutch

Well, my cooling "neck" is in rough shape but the lower tube is completely crap (deformed due to thin metal.)
I appreciate the help. Anyone know if Delta has either forward or side-facing NOS?

Current time is 03:59 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Cooling > Thermostat Neck Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems