Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Windshield  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-11-2007 03:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Pat Connor

I have purchase a new windshield from Delta.  My concern is installation.  One local shop would not install it and a shop that specializes in old cars said I needed a rubber gasket for installation. Checking with Jim Medlin at Delta he said a gasket is not needed but rather glazing tape  should be used. Also that the new run of windsihelds is 1/16" thinner than the original and thicker tape must be used to prevent cracking. 

I would rather a professional did the install. Does anyone out there have any more info on the install or know of a reliable installer in Southern Calif.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-11-2007 07:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
colinw59

I know that windshield installation is covered in the workshop manual. I had a new one installed on 15851 just over a year ago that was also from Delta. But I don't know if it was thicker than OEM. With the information in this manual allied to the knowledge that the new screen is thicker, I would say that any experienced installer should be skillfull enough to do it. I'm in CT so I can't help you with a local company, but mine had no problem at all. With so many club members in your area, you're bound to get a name fairly quickly. Good luck, Colin

Posted: 07-12-2007 10:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

I had mine replaced a few years ago and the installer did not use any rubber seal's, he just laid a thick bead of caulking material, (from a specialized gun) about 3/4" wide and about 1/4" to 3/8" thick, in the frame after he cleaned it and prepped it with a solvent, prepped the edge of the glass all the way around, laid it down on that, applied another layer on the glass, and put the SS. finisher over that, cleaned it up, and its been good ever since, said it was an industry standard application.

Good luck. Brett.

Posted: 06-01-2014 02:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Cac41155

Let me know if you had any luck in finding an installer in so cal I'm in the same boat and have been looking for over a month and every shop I talk to say they can't do it.

Posted: 06-01-2014 08:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
MikeIsotech

Brett Gibson JH5 20497 wrote:
I had mine replaced a few years ago and the installer did not use any rubber seal's, he just laid a thick bead of caulking material, (from a specialized gun) about 3/4" wide and about 1/4" to 3/8" thick, in the frame after he cleaned it and prepped it with a solvent, prepped the edge of the glass all the way around, laid it down on that, applied another layer on the glass, and put the SS. finisher over that, cleaned it up, and its been good ever since, said it was an industry standard application.

Good luck. Brett.

That's how mine was done too.

Posted: 06-01-2014 07:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
roland11a

JH  windscreens are a very early example of the now standard bonded windscreens  fitted in all modern cars. As a short term fix if you need to keep the car on the road, cut a piece of clear perspex to the correct size and bond it in with black silicone sealent. It will scratch fairly quickly but it is a good stop gap until you can source a perminent fix.
Luckily on the JH the windscreen is not part part of the structural strengh of the mono cock shell.

Posted: 06-04-2014 05:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
redracer

The Jaguar's had a similar type windscreen, so maybe check for someone that does Jaguars.
As for the "caulking" no one uses the rubber strips anymore but polyurethane for a caulking gun--just be sure that there is a nice thick bead all away around; if not, the windscreen will crack where there is too little sealer(you can wipe the extra off)
Removing the #2 posidrive screws can be a hassle, especially in the East where there is more corrosion to seize them. A hand impact wrench can put a lot of force on them, even causing them to break, where you will need to grind them out with a Dremel bit, carbide or diamond/
good luck, bruce madden

Posted: 04-16-2023 01:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
DonBurns

This is am old post, but I'll ask the same question as a follow up. Has anyone found a good windscreen installer in southern California? I have had a new windscreen in my garage for a couple of years now, but am moving and have to get on car. When bodywork / paint was done the old one was re-installed. Lower right corner has some "chattering" presumably from the trim being tightened too much there, or not as thick of adhesive? Anyway cost a small fortune in shipping cost to get it here and I don't want to mess it up!

Posted: 04-16-2023 06:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
noomg

Don,

I don't think any modern auto glass place is going to be much help most just have no experience working with older cars. You might look for a shop that does classic car restorations. Since they strip the car down to the bare shell they would also have to be familiar with classic glass removal and replacement.

There is a classic car restoration shop in Signal Hill but I'd think there would be something in OC closer to you. If they won't do it they might know someone who will.

Current time is 10:00 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Windshield Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems