Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
jensen4u

I have removed my cam covers and bead blasted them. I want to powder coat them and am not certain if I need to use a hi-temp powder. Obviously the hi-temp options are much more narrow and would prefer not, but do not want to do the wrong thing either. If the worst that would happen with a normal powder was discolor I would still consider that as the area of concern is not seen easily. Normally cam covers would not have a heat issue, but I am not sure about the lower as it is quite close to the exhaust header. Any advice you can provide would be much appreciated.

Greg Fletcher
Administrator

I've always refinished my covers in black wrinkle finish since they came that way and I like that look. If it's applied correctly, the wrinkle finish will last many years so I would think any normal power coating would be at least if not more durable.

jensen4u

I was thinking of either using the color polished aluminum of smoked chrome which are both very similar. I also like the wrinkle coat, but would want to have the fins and letters show like original. After glass bead blasting I see the elevation difference from the surface is not too much and would be quite difficult to achieve this factory look. That is why I thought about the polishe aluminum color as this would not be a distasteful mod IMO. I was told that the costant service temp of a normal powder coat is 250 degrees F or 350 degrees peak. I hope it will be good enough for my application. Also something to note is that the wrinkle coat via powder I have found is not high temp either so I guess it would be subject to the same issues?

Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I just removed the paint and polished the aluminum. They still look fine after 5 years.

I believe the reason they were painted black was to dissipate heat more efficiently.

Kurt

jensen4u

My castings are so rough I am certain it would take a good long while to polish mine. I was hoping that would be an option and still may be, but a rather timely one given how rough they were cast.

Arvin Appelman

I had mine done with black wrinkle powder coat then dusted the raised portion with a mill.  It still looks good after 3 years and a sparying with brake fluid.

Arvin Appelman

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems