Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Veneers  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-24-2007 04:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
timeforwalkies

And while I am at it, what wood is it that the interior veneer is suppose to look like?  Has anybody tried to replace it with solid wood?  Seems easy enough except for the consul, but a nice true verneer would look great if done correct.
Clif

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-24-2007 11:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
DaveinMD

I went mostly with the veneer. I had problems with the control panel, the metal plate wasn't straight enough to take the veneer so I did it in solid wood.  Other than that the only hard part was the glove box where you have to make the curve.  I sanded it to make the angle a little less and then steamed the veneer a bit and massaged it into place (took a couple of trys to get it right.  I wouldn't worry about what's "right", just look for some veneer that you like. DONT go to home depot, find a good wood shop near you or or on the web.  I've got some bubinga I could let you have since it's a Jensen project.  I used curly maple for mine but would have used the bubinga if I'd had it at the time.

I seem to remember one of the jensen regulars did it in solid, the pics should be somewhere on here....

I'll put up a photo or two if I get some time in the next few days.

Dave

Posted: 06-24-2007 01:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Walnut from the hobby shop at $3 per piece was my choice. Several coats of cherry stain and spray satin poly to finish. Much thicker than veneer it must be joined or steam bent where needed.

Posted: 06-26-2007 05:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
colinw59

As DaveinMD said, the control panel (center console) is difficult to veneer as it is made of very thin S/S with a raised lip and it's not very flat. On 15841 I made a replica of the flat section (excluding the raised perimeter lip) from a sheet of 1/32" steel sheet. Using the original as a master and paying extra attention to the switch cut-outs. I cut and carefully filed these cut-outs until the switches etc. located firmly in them. I then veneered this panel , cut out the holes and re-checked the fit of the switches etc. and primed the back face. I wanted to retain the S/S raised perimeter lip, so as to keep the new panel looking as original as possible. I scribed a line on the orignal panel about  1/4" in from the edge and then cut to this scribe line. I deburred this frame and placed the newly veneered replacement panel on top of it. When finally installed, the CD/radio kept this assembly firmly in place. I sprayed several coats of a water based varnish over all the new veneer.

As Walnut burl has a lot of knots in it and it's very uneven, so I used a veneer softened to 'flatted' it out. This softener must also be used when veneering the glove box and the panel that houses the cigarette lighter & ashtray, as they both have a rolled edge on them. The softener allows you to bend the veneer without breaking it. I used a Walnut burl veneer from Herzogveneers via Ebay to re-veneer all the veneered faces. 

The pics below show all the areas that were reveneered. Good luck, Colin

http://jhppg.com/gallery/74-Jensen-Healey-15851/2006_0218

http://jhppg.com/gallery/74-Jensen-Healey-15851/2006_0522_17

Current time is 10:15 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Veneers Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems