Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
DaveinMD

After a long time off the boards I'm back on the eternal quest to get 16984 back on the road, returing to my love of back roads and restoring marital harmony. After the major project (for me at least) of replacing the rockers and continuting the battle with the ever present rust devils I'm in the process of restoring the doors.  There is little left of the non-metal bits and I had a big favor to ask... Does someone have a tracing of the fiberboard that they could send so I can cut out new ones???  I would be eternally grateful!  Any suggestions as to the best material to use for them?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Mark Rosenbaum

New fiberboards are available from Delta Motorsports for a reasonable price.  They fit.

edward_davis

I had good luck with the Delta Motorsports door boards, too.  If you're going to make your own from scratch, though, I would suggest using something waterproof.  It seems like most of the deceased door panels I've seen have come from water getting in through the backside.  I've tried to make a good seal behind them with some new plastic sheeting, but it seems to me that a more permenant solution would have been to use some big sheets of stiff vinyl; some kind of plastic that has similar material properties to fiberboard.  I suppose that thin sheets of properly treated plywood would also work.  It seems like that's what they're always using on the Discovery channel car shows.

Good luck with the restoration!  Put up lots of pictures on the JHPPG so we can see, too!

Edward

Joel

There's someone in the  UK that sells the entire interior skin.  For the price I can't see futzing with it.  You should be able to find it by searching the forums.  If you can't find it let me know and I'll hunt it down.

DaveinMD

Thanks eveyone for your replies.  Guess I'll give deta a call

Dave

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems