New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Waking up engine  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-09-2007 06:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
walter

Hello,

I am new to this forum so perhaps a short intro : live in Belgium and own 2 JH 73 and 74 ; since I was workign overseas these cars have been standing for some time ( perhaps even before I purchased them ).

Presently working on reviving the engine : installing new plugs , new belts etc is normal but I have the impression the engine is stuck. Have already tried WD40 but it looks like that the cam covers ( valves ) are frozen ??

Anybody any experience with freeing up a sleeping Lotus engine ?

Thanks

Walter

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-09-2007 09:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
smcmanus

Walter

I read your post early this morning and thought about it all day while riding my tractor.  The first thing you need to know is that this is an interference engine.  If you turn the cams or the crank with the timing belt removed or with the wrong valve timing, you will bend some valves.  This is a very bad thing.  Don't do it!

So If the engine is stuck, I recommend you remove the cam covers, then the timing belt, and then remove the cam towers.  If none of the valves are stuck extended, you can now fiddle around and see what the problem is with no worry of bending valves. Then report back!

Feel free to ask questions.  Many experts on this site; I'm not one of them, but I have been through the engine.

Have a nice day

Steve

Posted: 06-11-2007 01:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Judson Manning

Walter,

It sounds like the rings have siezed to the liners which is the typical mode of failure for engines that are allowed to sit for a long period of time.  Early MkI engines did occassionally suffer from the cams siezing to their journals, but that is less likely your problem.  The answer you don't want to hear is that it's probably best to tear the engine down for a full rebuild.

My local Home Depot stocks WD40 in gallon sizes for about $10/gal.  You really have nothing to lose by filling the cylinders full of WD40 or Marvell Mystery Oil.  For that matter filling the entire crankcase isn't such a bad idea either.

Let it sit a good week, then try to turn the engine over by hand.  If it still won't budge, try the starter, if it still won't move, push it down a hill or drag it with a tractor and pop the clutch  (Don't laugh, I know a guy who did it to a Sprite and drove it home).  Lastly, put a dowel down each spark-plug hole and tap with a hammer till they all break free. 

All of this is cave-man technology and usually not recommended, but the worst thing that can happen is you'll need a full rebuild, which is what you probably need anyway.

Judson

Posted: 06-11-2007 07:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
walter

Hello Judson,

Thank you for the advise ; indeed the only good way is to disassemble to engine as you described in order not to bend the valves etc...will have ago at it this week...

Best

Walter

Current time is 11:00 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > Waking up engine Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems