Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > offline help needed in SD

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
offline help needed in SD  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-04-2007 01:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
andrewo

I have followed the instructions, used the orange gaskets, replaced everything with fresh hardware, cleaned with a tap, etc. etc. etc. and these d**m thing just won't seal. The intake is fine, but the exhaust side leaks at the back no matter what I do. I thought I had it fixed today when I looked at it with a dental mirror an saw a gap. I actually tightened it, which seemed to close the gap, but it still leaks.

I am not talking about the "When I drive for two hours I get a drop" variety of leak. If the engine is running for more than a minute, there is a cloud of oil smoke coming off the exhaust manifold, and a puddle on the ground. I have been working on this car in fits and starts for 7 years, and it is time to get it done. It is very close, but if I can't get this solved it will just sit there and frustrated me.

Does anyone in the SD area actually know how to get this gasket sealed? I will buy pizza, beer, or whatever other refreshments you want if someone is just willing to come and work through it with me. I live pretty close to Qualcomm Stadium, near the intersections of 8 and 15. Next weekend is shot already, but the following is wide open. I might even be able to do an evening during the week.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-04-2007 04:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Joel

I know a mechanic in Vista and one in Costa Mesa that could help you.  I'd offer to help but you know more about it than I do - you've tried to do it a few times!

I have no idea but I would try to clean out the bolt holes really good.

When you get her up and running drop me a note.  I'm driving around SD all the time in mine.  We should meet up.  I know a couple other guys who like to get together and go for romps thru the hills. .. .

Posted: 06-04-2007 08:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

You might want to purchase another cover and give it a try.

I've had good luck installing dry and over tightening the bolts. I know, I know, 4 ft/lbs torque on those bolts. I figure once the dreaded PO has over tightened them they will never seal again with the spec torque due to warpage of the cover.

Dress the surface on the cam carrier with a flat file. Clean all oil anywhere near the gasket surfaces with acetone. Clean again. Fit cover with no gasket and use mirrors to check for warpage. Clean the gasket if you are going to re-use it. Dry means REALLY dry.

Install gasket and cover and finger tighten bolts. Adjust gasket so it's even all the way around. Gently and evenly tighten the bolts to about 4 ft/lbs. Let sit overnight and retighten until they feel right. I probably use 10 or 12 ft/lbs but have never checked. Re-check with mirror. This is your last chance to adjust.

Once oil leaks past the gasket it seems impossible to seal without starting the whole procedure over again.

May Colin Chapman be with you.

Kurt

Posted: 06-04-2007 08:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

Did you coat the gaskets with oil before installing? To most people that sounds like opposite of what they think they should do, but the oil coat allows the gasket to move into place while the bolts are being tightened. If you try to tightening it dry, the gasket can't move into place and typically sticks before it can get into place. Remember, stiction is your foe. Otherwise you probably have a surface issue to check out; something could be bent, warped, cracked or uneven.

Posted: 06-04-2007 09:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Different strokes for different folks! Greg's method sure saves a lot of cleaning! I have never tried it.

How are you installing them Andrew?

Posted: 06-04-2007 09:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
andrewo

I initially tried installing them dry, but that didn't work. I have also tried adjusting them wet by lossening the bolts to the point where I can move the gasket around, and then repositioning, but that hasn't worked either. I suspect I may have a surfact issue, since when I look at the back of the cover with a mirror, there is a big gap. In order to close it, I have to tighten down the bolt in that corner far more than it seems like I should.

The other thing that makes it such a pain is that there isn't room to get a ratchet in between the cover and the brake booster.

Posted: 06-06-2007 01:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Dan (Florida)

Just for my 2 cents, I cut two gaskets from 3/16" black Garlock gasket rubber bought at a nuts and bolts store  using an old gasket as a pattern. I did all of the usual cleaning, tapping , etc and attached the gasket to the valve covers first using Yamabond 4 gasket sealer (yamaha motorcycle dealer) and about 15 spring  clothes pins per cover to make sure the gasket didn't  slip  or show gaps. after  drying  and inspecting I coated  and partial dried the head and valve cover gasket surface and  installed the covers. Sometimes a little partial drying will set up the sealer so as to fill in  gaps a little better. This surface is without a doubt the worst gasket sealing area I have encountered, and cannot say enough good about Yamabond 4 sealer.  Mine havent leaked in over a year, which I can't say about the rest of the engine.

hth    Dan

Edit:  If I had to do it over again I would drill and tap 1/4 " breather lines into both covers  to vent  blowby, particularly in the exhaust cover.  Once the exhaust area starts to collect oil the blowby must build up pressure under the cover aiding leaks wherever it can.

Last edited on 06-06-2007 01:47 pm by Dan (Florida)

Current time is 08:13 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > offline help needed in SD Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems