Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Breather w/K&Ns  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-03-2007 11:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
andrewo

Has anyone found a good way to deal with this, and do you have pictures. I have no problem drilling the outside plate and using the plastic L they give you, but it is a different size than the breather outlet on the block, making the use of one tube a challenge.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-04-2007 03:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

See http://jhppg.com/gallery/album76/DSC00013 for a photo of what I did on my car.  The fittings are all standard nylon bits from the local hardware store, the bushings are cheap aftermarket parts (now rotting), the hoses are quality fuel hose, and a brass reducer (offscreen, not shown) mates the fuel hose to the hose running from the crankcase vent spigot.  It isn't elegant, but it does work.

Posted: 06-04-2007 04:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
andrewo

Thanks Mark. Where did you get the brass reducer? I think that is the bit I need.

Last edited on 06-04-2007 04:53 am by andrewo

Posted: 06-04-2007 10:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Judson Manning

You'll want to install some form of catch-can between the breather tube and the filters like the Early MkI cars.  As the engine ages and blow-by increases, so does the amount of oil piping into the carbs.  I've rebuilt a number of engines that have died before their time due to the rear carb getting packed with oxidized oil by-products.

Posted: 06-04-2007 01:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

The reducer is just a couple of brass fittings that I had on hand, that would fit together and happened to be the right sizes to fit the two hoses.  Probably I could have found something in the nylon hose fittings that would have worked as well, but I didn't bother to work.

Judson is quite right about the need to deal with oil fumes.  A separator like those used in the early cars is likely ideal, but finding space for one, in a later car, could be a bit tricky.  My setup uses a fairly long vertical hose at the breather spigot, and perhaps that serves nearly as well.

As the saying goes, if it's dumb but it works, it isn't dumb.

Posted: 06-04-2007 02:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
andrewo

I saw a car here in San Diego a couple of years ago that had a small round K&N filter at the end of a short hose. I guess the theory was that the filter would catch most of the oil before it vented to the air. The car was very well done and the engine compartment wasn't covered in oil, so either it worked or it didn't get driven much. Has anyone seen this solution, or is the owner of the red JH at San Diego British Car day 2005 out there?

Posted: 06-04-2007 04:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

My old ZS K&N setup had the breather in the rear plate of the rear carb where it was less obvious. It barely fit at the 5:00 position. I did have a catch can rigged before the engine rebuild which was nothing more than a soup can cut in half with screens and breather media inserted.

With the engine rebuilt and the breather routed to the airbox, there is very little oil film in the velocity stacks.

Speaking of the airbox, I never liked the K&N setup which breathes hot air coming off of the radiator. I think a far better upgrade is to supply cold air to the airbox. I fabricated a fiberglass wing that mounts next to the radiator to deflect hot air away from the K&N cone filter mounted on the end of the air trunk. A hole is drilled next to the radiator to allow more cold air into the area.

Kurt

Posted: 06-04-2007 09:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Steve Johnson

I think the car you saw was mine.

1974 Jensen Healey 2.2l, 45 dells, 104 cams ect. see attached picture.

I just put a small filter at the end of hose coming out of block, hose that would go to back side of air box, still no oil or other bad things, and is still real clean under hood.

I have driven it about 25,000 miles since I rebuilt it in 2004.  Also did get the best Jensen Healey award 2 year in a row, 2005 & 2006.

Looking forward to going back again this fall.

Steve

Attachment: 2JH004.jpg (Downloaded 72 times)

Posted: 06-04-2007 09:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
andrewo

Steve - Yes, I'm sure it was your car. It was a real standout at that show, and I remember that we talked and you mentioned it was a 2.2, so it must be the same one. I am hoping to get mine ready for British Car Day this year, but I have been saying that for over five years.  

It's good to know you have gone that many miles without oil spewing all over the engine compartment. I really liked the looks of your solution, and it was a very clean install. Do you remember what filter you used for the end of the breather line?

Current time is 11:35 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Breather w/K&Ns Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems