Home 
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Suspension > SHOCKS AND SWAY BARS

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
timeforwalkies

I purchased a set of Woodhead shocks from Delta Motors several years ago and have decieded to install them.  I also purchased a set of sway bars and am planning to install those as well.
Does anybody know wheather there is a connection between the performance of bars and shock or shocks and bars?  Am I going to need adjustable shocks?
Thanks,
Clif

Judson Manning

You might want to google search performance and or racing suspension and handling for an in depth discussion on the matter.

Springs determine how far the suspension travels under load, shocks determine just how fast you get to the end of that travel.  Think of Sway/Roll bars as an extension of the springs adding more roll resistance.

The attached pic shows just how far the JH can roll to its side in a turn.  The car is running 8" slicks so I can say this is about as extreme as it can get.  This is Delta's "performance" suspension package of Shocks, Springs & Bars.  I actually had to replace the rear bar with something smaller since the inside tire tended to lift into the air (that's the time you really wish you had a LSD!).

A good set of shocks, Delta's upgraded springs and a front roll bar is a good start for spirited rides in the mountains.  The rear bar is nice, just don't expect that inside tire to "be there for you" in extreme instances.

Attachment: GainsvilleSolo1.jpg (Downloaded 301 times)

timeforwalkies

Thanks Judson.
Your comments are much appreciated.  I wouldn't mind doing such research as you suggest, but I think I would get more confused.
What I am trying to determine is what is necessary to make the 2.2 conversion more than just an increase in horse power.
I am not going to have at it with a Porsche on PCH1.  As you know the JH is a bit squishy in the turns so I want to take out a little of that squish.  Not that I would want a CooperS feal either.  Nice for about half an hour and then it's time for the kidney belt.
There must be a few people out there who have gone through this process and know the right combination of spring (if not stock), shock and bar.  By the way the bars are Turn Six.  Picked them up several years ago from a guy who had burned his JH to the ground, but hadn't installed the bars.
Agian thanks for the input.
Clif

Ian Brooks

One good thing to come out of these high diesel prices is I dusted off Jenny ,replaced the gas & started to to drive her around for all those little trips,after a year of just sitting.Ist thing I did was to replace the Girling shocks with some Spax I had lying around.What a difference,cant believe I waited this long,& how bad the old shocks were.She is a bit bouncy now but,I will throw a sack of sand in the boot & see if that remedies anything.After a week of driving it with the new shocks I decided to put Sunday aside & put the front & rear sway bars I ,d bought 2 years ago.I took my time ,& after deliberating the exact placement of the rear bar finally got it done .Wow the cornering is brilliant now compared to pre shock & bar fittng.The tires are complaining now so Iwill wear these ones down a bit before replacing  them as I think bushing replacement will be the next thing I do. So for those sitting on the fence about getting those bars installed that have been sitting in your garage forever,take the time to do it, they are not that hard,that is assuming the front brackets are facing the right direction,I guess I lucked out on that one.I now look forward to driving her on a daily basis.Ian                                                                                 

JHRV8

Hi!  I'm new to the forum but I've got a question about the front sway bar and it's installation spot.  From all of the photos I've seen the bar mounts under ther oil pan and attaches forward.  It seems to me that it sits sooo low that if one of the front tires goes flat, the bar would be below the scrub-line and could be torn off or worse stand the car on its head if you go over something firmly attached to the ground! any comments?      Thankyou.  Bob-JHRV8.

Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Welcome to the tech forum Bob! Does JHRV8 mean you have a Rover V8 under the bonnet? If so, please post some pictures for our enjoyment.

While I'm sure an alternate mounting point could be fabricated, would it really be worth the effort?

The Delta sway bar on my car is not anywhere near dragging on the ground, but I have the KYB gas shocks which jack up the car a bit. I'll find out when I install the Koni hydraulic front shocks I recently acquired.

Kurt Housh

jcdean

I have the Spax on mine and the bar is low enough that I am unable to dirve over the lip of an oil change pit if I am sitting in the car.

Joey

Brett Gibson JH5 20497

The bar is a bit low but so is every thing else, spoiler / exhaust / rear bar, and most flat tires happen slowly were you go out to the car and its squating down. A rappid flat is rare and if that was to happen you would also be ruining a rim and scrapping all the low hanging fruit. As for flipping the car over, I dont think so the bar would probably rip it's self off and tear up the sheetmetal. you can easly check it out, let the air out of your tire and see what touch's.

Brett

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems