Home 
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > How to get WOT from Strombergs?

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
edward_davis

After rebuilding and retuning my Strombergs, I find I have a lot more power (I can easily spin the tires now).  While checking everything out, though, I discovered that when I have the accelerator pedal completely depressed, the throttles aren't quite wide open.  I still have about 5 degrees of travel before the throttle stops.  I've read about this as an issue in some car magazines before, and I was wondering where the adjustment is on my JH.  It isn't at the carb end, that's for sure.  Am I supposed to change the setting at the end of the cable sheath, like adjusting the brakes on a bicycle?

BTW, the Triangle LBC show was great.  Many unusual cars, including two orange JH's.  Mine and Henry Feather's.  At least I think that was his name.  I'm bad with names, but he's in the JHPS, so he can correct me if he's on this forum.

Edward

Mark Rosenbaum

First, check to see if your throttle pedal contacts the car's floor before wide-open-throttle has been obtained.  This could be due to a bent throttle pedal or the presence of an added step on the pedal's rear (indicated by the highlight in the rather poor photo I've attached).

If the throttle lever seems okay, have an assistant fully depress the throttle pedal, then loosen the throttle cable at the carbs, move the carbs to the wide-open-throttle position, and re-tighten the cable.  Have the assistant release the pedal, then check to sure that there's at least a tiny bit of slack in the throttle cable.

If that doesn't help, you could fiddle with the throttle arm on the carburetor and increase its length slightly.

Attachment: throttle pedal.jpg (Downloaded 117 times)

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems