Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Accusump  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-17-2007 04:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Jon Plowe

I do a bit of hillclimbing and sprinting in my JH and have eventually learnt how to set the car up and drive fast enough that I get oil surge/pressure drop on long fast corners both left and right hand. I was thinking about an Accusump as a simple and inexpensive answer. I would appreciate any comments on my problem and my (or any other) suggested solution

Cheers

Jon

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-17-2007 06:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Ron Earp

Yep, it will work well. I have one on my car and it doesn't get any pressure drop on the few times we had it on track before the car was torn up. You can plump it in using a remote filter type adapter and setup, or, plumb it directly into the galley via putting a fitting on the galley plug on the side of the block. That is a better solution.

R

Posted: 05-17-2007 07:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Judson Manning

Photo of Ron's plumbing.  Accusump directly to the block, notice only about 1/8" clear between the accusump line and the remote lines coming off the accessory housing.

Attachment: ron.accusump.640.jpg (Downloaded 100 times)

Posted: 05-17-2007 07:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Judson Manning

This is another setup plumbing the accusump to the remote oil filter.

Attachment: hybrid.accusump.jpg (Downloaded 87 times)

Posted: 05-18-2007 01:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jon Plowe

Thanks for the info', sounds the way to go. One point I'm still not sure on, even after reading various official info and instructions, is how do you set the discharge pressure. I would have thought it would need to kick in when the pressure dropped below 20psi  otherwise it would discharge at idle and might be empty when you start up again. If you set it at 20psi does that mean that the discharge presuure would be also around 20psi, which might not be enough. I'm not sure I'm even making sense?!?

Jon

Posted: 05-18-2007 03:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Scott Robinson

You set a basic air pressure behind the piston in the Accusump at 20 or so psi. As long as the valve is open to the engine, oil is pumped into the Accusump whenever oil pressure exceeds the 20 psi. If you shut off the engine and close the valve when you have say 50 lbs of oil pressure, the oil trapped in the Accusump is at 50 psi. When you open the valve to start the engine the oil squirts back into the engine at 50psi. When the valve is open the oil will flow towards the engine anytime the oil pressure is less than the pressure behind the Accusump's piston.

I've had one installed for more than 10 years and consider it not only cheap insurance when running hard, but also a source of instant oil pressure on start up.

Scott

Posted: 05-18-2007 05:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Jon Plowe

Thanks for the help, I've now got my head around how it works.

Jon

Posted: 05-19-2007 03:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
pbahr

Jon,

I put one in YELODOG when I built it up about 12 years ago.  Accusump will save your engine !

Pix below show some of the installation bits.  I mounted it on the firewall, remote Filter, Solenoid with a switch inside the Tunnel box.

If you want more pix, send me a PM.

Good luck,

Pete

Attachment: YELODOG Engine bay 100k.jpg (Downloaded 64 times)

Posted: 05-19-2007 12:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Ian Brooks

Hi,

Im stroking a motor with the hc pistons,dells etc & after reading this thread thinking I need one of those,especially I will be driving a hilly, winding route on a regular basis once she,s rebuilt.Typed in accusump & visited several sites & am now curious what size sump would be best.Is it a case of bigger the better ? 1,2 or 3 quart size .Thanks

Ian

Posted: 05-19-2007 06:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Ron Earp

I've only ever used the 3qt version, and this is on four of our race cars I've built or helped build. That said, one of our Z motors has a stock pan with 3qt and if you bozo it and forget to shut the valve off on motor shut down it'll swamp the oil pan in a hurry - 4qts plus around 3qts is 7 qts which the pan can't hold.

I doubt you need a 3 qt, but 1t I don't think is enough as it can get emptied quickly. Maybe the Accusump site has some recommendations?

R

Posted: 05-19-2007 08:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
pbahr

Jon,

If you are only on the street, a 2qt should be OK.  If racing, go with the 3qt.

Do not get a manual turn-on valve !  Get one with a solenoid, and:
  1. Wire it to your Ignition Switch.  This way, you will have excess oil in sump while driving in the city, after the Engine gets hot.
  2. Wire to a manual switch.  Turn on during agressive driving, and leave it off for street. 
My vote is for #2.  This way you have full control without overfill of the sump.

In either method, when starting, turn Ignition Switch (or remote switch) on for 10 seconds, and the unit will prime the engine to full oil pressure before running.  Don't forget to rev the engine after driving and prior to shut-down to charge the Accusump to full oil and pressure.

Pete

Current time is 09:47 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Accusump Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems