Home 
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > electric fuel pump bypass

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
jgreen

I had a good friend in college who owned a car called a YUGO. It was a cheaply made thing and it had a horrible tendency to go through fuel pumps for no apparent reason. Frustrated with breakdowns while traveling, her mechanic installed  an extra fuel pump  with a switch in a discreet location under the dash. From what I understand, when she experienced fuel pump failure while on the road, she simply flipped a switch under the dash and "presto" the car started right up and got her home without being stranded on the road. Of course college was 20 years ago and I don't have a clue how it was hooked up but I was thinking...... Could this idea be applied to my JH? I assumed the fuel pump was hooked up "inline" with the other one.  I was thinking it would be real convienent thing to have on the road. Of course, maybe this is just an impossible idea. Does anybody have any thoughts on the value of this modification or if it can even be done to a JH in the first place.

smcmanus

Generic low pressure wobble pumps are available for less than $40.  I think mine is a Facet brand unit.  These things are very reliable and are a good replacement for OEM unit at a fraction of the cost.  If you have a clean tank, good lines, and one of these cheapo wobble pumps, I don't think you'll need a back-up unit.

Good Luck

Steve

Mark Rosenbaum

I agree with Steve.  I've had a Facet / Purolator pump in my car for about six years now and it's still going strong.  And as pumps of that type are so inexpensive nowadays, IMHO the best and easiest way to deal with a fuel pump failure is simply to carry and install a spare.

Sylva

To answer the question, my mate has a mint stag with two pumps, as the original pump tends to overheat because of its locartion, when it cols it will work again, he keeps it to keep the car original, he has another pump hid away, but it is not in line it is in parrallel to the original pump, I don't think a second pump would work in line as it would be trying to suck petrol throught the first pump. so all you need is a tee piece in the fuel line before and after the first pump, a second pump and a switch controlled power source.

I always have a hidden switch on my fuel pump power source any way , years ago I had a MG stolen from a london car park, it was abandoned on the off ramp when it ran out of petrol, it started and ran for a 100yds or so on the fuel in the floats, if it had not started it would have been vandalised in the car park, but on the ramp thay just left it and ran away.

Kelvin.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems