New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Window Wipes...Help!  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-10-2007 11:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
nvandal

Folks,

I bought new window wipes from Delta. The inside one are not like the originals. They are shorter in height where they attach to the stainless piece that trims out the top edge of the door. typical of Delta MS in my experiences. They could not tell me how to fasten them on. They could not tell me if they were different from others they previously sold, but they could tell me they were different than those on a car they had outside their business. Argh! Why would you sell something you can't advise people on how to install, especiall since they are very noticeably different from the originals? Yes...I am frustrated.

Has anyone bought these and thus encountered this problem? If so, how were you able to fasten them on, and does the exposed bottom of the stainless strip chance scratching the window?

Help if you can. It's appreciated.

Norm Vandal

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-11-2007 04:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

Another club member has reported that problem a few weeks ago. Those come direct from Martin Robey in the UK, the people that own Jensen Spares now and unfortunately someone seems to have dropped the ball over there on the window wipes.

I bought a set for my car a couple years ago and they fit fine. Somewhere along the line, not sure when it happened, they changed the the style, I'm guessing because the others where not available.

Posted: 05-11-2007 09:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
nvandal

Greg,

Thanks for the info. A style switch would be okay, but these simply will not fit. Hope other will see this and not purchase them. Delta should inform people of the problem.

Has anyone bought them from MacGregors? They say they have them, but I'm a little gunshy. My hope is to locate a comparable from another vehicle that would work.

If anyone out there has a solution, please advise.

thanks muchly,

norm Vandal

Posted: 05-12-2007 12:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
LambandAndy

Norm,

Just bought a set of the inner wipes from Delta and am facing the same problem.  The seal is a totally different profile and the clips that hold them on are unobtainium, from Delta at least.  Anyone got any suggestions?

I also need to replace the outers, so please keep us posted if you find something that works.

Andy

Posted: 05-12-2007 04:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
nvandal

Andy et all,

Yes, if I find something that works, which I will because I have to, I'll let folks know. I will try to call MacGregor to learn how theirs is made. The originals are rigid and cover the entire face of the inside of the trim strip, which they have to in order to prevent the glass from rubbing ( and scratching ). It seems to me that clips will not work on the inside wipe because of the same issue.

I hope everyone lets Delta know it's not okay for them to continue selling these. It's a pain to send them back. This is bogus business.

Thanks,

Norm Vandal

Posted: 05-12-2007 11:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
John Kimbrough

I bought a set of outers for my car from McGregors.  They fit perfectly.  I would confidently give them a chance on inners as well.  I believe you need to order the clips separately, if memory serves.  John

Posted: 05-13-2007 10:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
nvandal

John,

Yes. that's good to hear. I'm really tempted to send the outers and inners back to Delta. The outers are of a very flexible rubber so I'm afraid they will look bumpy and won't stand up. I'll call MacGregors Monday. Thanks for your help.

Norm Vandal

Posted: 08-10-2007 01:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Steve Jarvis

I bought outers from Delta and they are 1/8" too narrow to touch the window. Since I live near MacGregor's in Dundas I dropped by and now have a pair that appear to be closer to a fit. Still need to put them on but will post an update.

I'm assuming this is the same Mcgregor mentioned previously in the post.

http://www.macgregorukcarparts.com/

Posted: 08-10-2007 10:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
John Kimbrough

That's the same one.  Let us know how the inners worked out.  John

Posted: 08-10-2007 10:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Steve Jarvis

Sorry I actually got the outer wipes.

Posted: 08-04-2008 02:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Jay

I got a pair of the outer wipes from McGregor a while back. I am now contemplating their installation. Can anyone step me through the process. It appears that I would need to remove the window and/or window regulator to be able to reach the clips for the front half of the strip. I don't see an easy way of doing this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jay

Posted: 08-04-2008 10:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Steve Jarvis

You need to remove the three bolts that hold the front quarter window in place (2 near the top and 1 at the bottom). It may need the L bracket at the bottom removed also to allow the quarter unit to slide up and out. The window slides forward off the track and then also comes out. Mark where the quarter unit bracket was as it makes it easier to line up later. Smaller hands makes this much easier especially the reverse process to put the window etc. back in.

In my case the wipers were screwed into the door sheet metal. Somewhat of a pain but it is possible to screw them back in. You do need to drill the wipe to actually get the screw through. I blieve in some cases there is a clip that pushes over the rubber and the metal lip. If you have the same ones I have from McGregor, I think it is a bit too deep for the clips.

Current time is 06:13 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Window Wipes...Help! Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems