Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Engines stumbles while cruising

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Engines stumbles while cruising  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-09-2007 12:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
j23mau

While driving my JH last night cruising at 80 mph, the engine seemed to stumble for a split second and then catch right back again.  It would do this every 1/4 to 1/2 miles.  The oil pressure stayed at roughly 55 pounds, the tach stayed put.

It doesn't happen any other time while driving except when cruising between 70 and 80 mph.  If I constantly accelerate, it doesn't happen.

Any help or insight would be appreciated. 

I have retuned the carbs, and changed the plugs and wires.  Could it be a fowled plug? or something more serious?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-09-2007 03:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Start with the usual suspect in intermittent issues, the fuel filter. Also replace the cap and rotor.

Kurt

Posted: 05-09-2007 04:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

I've had that happen before- in that case it was a warning that the fuel pump was nearing the end of it's life. But as Kurt mentioned, I'd try the less expensive stuff first and work my way up.

Posted: 05-09-2007 04:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Scott Robinson

Hi Jeremy.

Glad to hear your driving it! Meant to let you know the tool arrived fine. Hope it helped and no leaks.

Been there with the stumble/recovery and second the fuel pump last legs guess and the try the filter first advice. Both times for me it was the fuel pump quitting briefly under load.

Scott

Posted: 05-09-2007 08:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
j23mau

Thanks for the advice.

I am pretty sure my dad has an extra fuel pump in his garage back home...just kidding dad!!!

I can hear him changing his locks on his garage right now.

I have actually got about 800 miles on the car already this year.  mostly back and fourth and around town, but plenty enough to get me in trouble. 

The tool actually worked great once we figured out how to use it exactly.  No leaks and the pressure is really good.  Just got a set of 40" Dells in last week.  I am waiting on the manifold this week and will start that process probobly later in the summer as I have my wedding to start paying for.

I guess it really is about the journey vs finishing it.

I just covered all of my old wood grain with Carbon fiber and it looks pretty slick.  Radio is installed, yellow plug wires, wire conduit,...  I am so glad I got a JH becuase it helps me relieve stress (when its running) and it keeps me out of the bars (for the most part)...thanks for the help...

Jeremy

Last edited on 05-09-2007 08:24 pm by j23mau

Posted: 05-10-2007 02:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Ron Mau

The locksmith has already been called!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dad

Current time is 10:48 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Engines stumbles while cruising Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems