Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > Out of tune Stroms causing sputter/rough running?

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Out of tune Stroms causing sputter/rough running?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-08-2007 02:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
flatlanderep

Does anyone have a writeup (with lots of pictures) for tuning Stroms?
I have the JH manual, but I'm a very visual person, so pictures would definately help me make sense of it all.

After installing the pertronix distributor (refer to extremely long thread in ignition section), the car "sputters" when  light on the throttle.

It was doing this prior to the new distributor, so I suspect its somewhere in the fuel/air mixture.....hence the carbs. Is that what it sounds like to you guys, or should I look in a completely different direction?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-10-2007 03:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

JHPS member Mark Rosenbaum did a great write up on the Stromberg 175CD's a while back, I need to dig that out. There's also an old Haynes manual out of the UK that only deals with rebuilding Strombergs and I've always found that very helpful too.

Hard to say on your problem, can you give us more detail? Did you check the mixture? Is the fuel system and filter reasonably clean?

Posted: 05-14-2007 02:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
flatlanderep

Greg, the filter is clean and as far as the mixture, I'm not too sure. How do I check that? To me it seems like its running a little rich, sputtering evey now and then when you press the pedal. At full throttle and idle its fine, it just happens upon acceleration.

Timing's right, spark plugs new, wires new, fuel filter good.....etc. all that good stuff.

Quick question at the end of this rambling:

right now the fuel filter is placed directly after the pump, is there supposed to be one before pump as well? (side note > we had one before the pump a few months back, and some lousy mechanic removed it because he said that two was overkill).

Posted: 05-14-2007 03:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

At the absolute minimum, there should be a filter upstream of the fuel pump to protect the pump from rust and debris in the fuel tank.  IMHO there should also be a filter just upstream of the tee between the two carburetors, to protect the carbs from any rust developing in the fuel line itself, or from disintegration of the pump internals.  If this is overkill, so what? -- no harm is done.

Poor response during acceleration is most often caused by low or incorrect damper oil.  Almost invariably, with a stock or nearly stock engine, the correct oil choice is the same viscosity as that used in the crankcase: 20W50 whenever the average temperature is 32°F or above, or 10W40 when colder.

Sections C11 and D3 of the shop manual contain the official procedures for setting up the balance and fuel/air mixture adjustments on Stromberg carburetors, but they were written more as guidelines for the professional mechanic in an era where Strombergs were considerably more common than nowadays.  I've been toying with a rough draft of a carburetor adjustment procedure that may be more convenient for the modern owner.  Send me an email if you'd like a copy to try out.

Posted: 04-19-2021 08:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Ralph H

Mark Rosenbaum Did you ever post the carburetor adjustment procedure you noted in this very old posting.

Posted: 04-19-2021 09:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
mtechwim

That would be great

Posted: 04-20-2021 02:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
noomg

Unfortunately this is one of those threads that stops abruptly with no resolution. It being 14 years old these's no way to know if the OP ever solved the problem or for that matter if he still has the car.

If you're looking for the adjustment procedure there are a few options. UTube of course, the Haynes Stromberg manual, and the not to detailed J-H manual.

What I've been using for about 20+ years is Bentley's TR7 Workshop Manual. The TR7 uses the same basic setup and the Bentley procedure is quite detailed. It works fine for the J-H.

Posted: 04-21-2021 01:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Art DeKneef

Unfortunately, Mark passed away several years ago.

I don't know for sure if I have the document. But I seem to remember the procedure being in the JHPS magazine several years ago. 3 or 4 parts if I remember right.

Posted: 04-22-2021 10:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Esprit2

Mark Rosenbaum was a great guy, and very knowledgeable about the Jensen-Healey and the Lotus 907. When he posted, you were wise to read. The community suffered a great loss when he passed away.

I've put together a PDF about the care and feeding of the Z-S carbs. It's a collection of bits from different sources, including some of Mark's, some strays, and some of my own. Take it for what it is. It doesn't try to answer any one question, it just addresses Z-S maintenance in general.

Unfortunately, this forum doesn't allow uploading PDFs, or files larger than 102.4kb. My PDF is 1.1 meg. So, I've uploaded a copy to my GoogleDrve folder, and here's a link to it:
https://tinyurl.com/3yh5wb36

You can follow the link and download a copy if you wish. Hopefully you'll find something in it that is worthwhile.

Regards,
Tim Engel

Last edited on 04-22-2021 10:34 pm by Esprit2

Current time is 11:16 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > Out of tune Stroms causing sputter/rough running? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems