Home 
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > stuff under the gas tank

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
kfsmith

Well, after I got the jensen running, I came out the next morn to a puddle of fuel under it. Fuel line was rotted and the trunk smelled of gas. My fuel tank was shot so I purchased a steel on from jorge. What are people putting under the gas tank when they replace it ... lord knows I don't want to put anything back in like what was there as I like my new gas tank without rust

Thanks in advance

kevin 

John Kimbrough

You will probably get lots of opinions, but I glued strips of old inner tube on the trunk floor and slipped the tank in.  Cheap and effective.  It will not retain water and insulates well.  Also, if you get a block of duct seal (a kind of sticky clay-like material we use in industry to waterproof wire openings in conduit) and make a ring of it to stick around the drain opening, it will keep water out of the trunk.  John.

Pat Connor

Hi Kevin:

I used a rubber door mat from Home depot cut to fit. Low tech but it does not hold fuel or water thereby limiting rust and chances of fire in the trunk.

sjensen24

I used closed cell foam of the type used as padding under a floating floor.  I rolled it in a tube about 2" in diameter and glued it to the floor of the trunk running front to back in four locations.

Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Years ago someone suggested using those old timing belts that accumulate in the garage.

Jensenman

Air has to be able to circulate around the tank or the rust will come back so the tank can't sit directly on the trunk floor and you don't want to use anything that will hold water.

I bought a couple of cheap rubber truck mud flaps and cut them into 8 1" wide strips long enough to support the tank. I then glued them to the bottom of the tank (after painting it of course) and sealed the area under the tank (trunk floor) with Eastwood red oxide rust sealing primer and then painted the area white to match the car. Don't plug or seal around the fuel line hole, if water gets in that's the only way it can get back out. Speaking of water getting in the trunk, the #1 source is the fuel fill neck seal. That 'well' it sits in lets water collect when washing the car or when it's raining and it goes straight down the fill neck to the tank.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems