Home 
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Aligning Engine to Install Cam Housings

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
Dan Eiland

I'm about to do a final installation of my cam housings and was wondering about how the engine is set up for this process? If I understand the book correctly I need to set the timing so the number one piston is at TDC and then I can install the cam housings as long as the cam gears timing marks are aligned. Can someone confirm this or let me know how this is done without damaging any valves?

Last edited on 04-22-2007 09:10 pm by Dan Eiland

Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Rotate the engine and stop before TDC while all the pistons are well down in the bores. Install the cam carriers and rotate as needed until the timing marks align. Move the crank to TDC. Install the timing belt.

Now rotate the engine through two revolutions and stop at 12^ BTDC. The timing marks will be approaching alignment. Adjust the distributor using a test light so it is just opening the points, or triggering the Pertronix. Identify which post the rotor is pointing towards and connect the #1 ignition wire to that post. Install the other wires in the correct order.

Start the engine and look for leaks. Tear down engine and try to repair leaks. ;-)

Good Luck,

Kurt

Last edited on 04-22-2007 09:42 pm by Jensen Healey

smcmanus

Looky here for a good discussion on this topic.

http://www.jensenhealey.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=232&forum_id=2

Dan Eiland

Kurt's description sounds like it is what I was doing. I have my crank at 90^ before TDC and have my cam housings installed with the timing marks aligned. I just wasn't sure where to go from here. Kurt has explained it pretty well and makes perfect sense. I had wondered how to get the distributor aligned since there are no markings on the gear. I have marked the gear on the distributor so I would know where the key was located. I'm not sure if this will help me but I can use it as long as I know the relationship of the key and the number one location for the spark plug cable. I will finish this up tonight and begin on the intake system and finish rebuilding my Dellortos. I think I can take it in after this and have them make my transmission adapter. Sure wish the bodyshop would get off their a&& and get my car painted so I could begin moving forward on that end.

Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Dan, you're over thinking it. The position of the distributor is related to the aux pulley only after you set the timing. The position of the rotor is directly related to the position of the aux pulley.

The #1 plug wire can be connected to any of the four available towers on the distributor cap and it's location is determined by the available space to rotate the distributor. If you have Dellortos you will need to remove the vacuum capsule from the distributor body so a full 90^ of adjustment can be achieved.

Kurt

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems