Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Radio and Switch inquiry  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-17-2007 06:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
j23mau

My car after a winter of neglect I have been trying to replace the few pieces to make it a joy to drive, in my opinion. (dell's will be later this summer and thats a different adventure)

1. The Previous owner, seemed to be a part time electrician becuase he has run more wires through the car in odd places that were not meant to be there.  My first question would be about the radio.  I have tested the wires and can't seem to locate a "hot" or constant wire.  I know that it is easier to just tap into another wire or straight from the battery, but I didn't know if someone had the color codes of the wires behind the radio to see if I can get that straightened out.

2. The P.O. also added an extra fan switch, and a crude replacement switch for the hazard lights.  I have the needed switches but again need the wire colors to make sure that I don't short out anything in the process.  I am also in need of the connectors if possible.  I am not sure if Delta has them but I will need to redo almost all of my switches.

Any help is appreciated.

Jeremy Mau

Last edited on 04-18-2007 11:13 pm by j23mau

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-18-2007 03:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

The radio power normally comes from the AUXILIARY position of the ignition switch.  Normally this will be a white-blue wire that comes from the connector into which the ignition switch connector plugs, and which ends in a female bullet connector.  With this arrangement, the radio is powered in the AUX and RUN positions (don't know about in the START position, but probably not).

Connectors for the factory dash switches, and the wiring harness connectors, are available from British Wiring ( http://www.britishwiring.com ).  Delta's replacement switches mate with standard 1/4" female blade receptacles.

As for what wire goes where, Delta has a for-sale paper diagram that has proven to be a 100% match to my JH (1974).  There's a free online wiring diagram from one of the UK sites.  And John Kimbrough has a PDF wire list in the Club Garage part of this site.

Last edited on 04-18-2007 03:49 am by Mark Rosenbaum

Posted: 04-18-2007 04:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
j23mau

Thanks Mark.  Always a wealth of knowledge.  I will tinker tonight and see waht I can come up with.

On another note, I was looking at adding a powered sub to the car.  (I know not really needed but I like my music)  The depth is 6 inches by 12 inches of the powered sub.  I also upgraded to the Boston Acoustic 4 inch speakers on the sides.

I am wondering what would be a good spot to put it.  I am thinking on the rear ledge mounted the forward facing wall.  This would still give me plenty of sound and space. 

My other option is behind the seat on the passenger side.

Both seem like good options.  I am not really wanting to add 6x9's as well but may have to after I get the amp figured out.  Do most people add the 6x9's?

What does everyone think?

Posted: 04-18-2007 05:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Joel

I still need to take pics and post them. 

I like noise too.  So, I took a sawzall and expanded the door holes just a tiny bit.  That's all that's necessary to be able to fit a real speaker into the door.  It took about 10 minutes to do the metal cutting.  And it really was a tiny bit of cutting.  So now, I have really nice Infinity speakers.  These speakers have a separate tweeter - that fits quite nicely in the door just above the main speaker.  Once you have the panel off the door you'll see a rectangular hole in the door that fits the little 1" speaker quite nicely. 

And the crossover for these two speakers is velcro-ed to the bottom of the inside of the door. 

It's quite clean.

For the rear speakers I didn't want to cut holes in the deck.  And I especially didn't want the back of the speaker exposed on the underside of the car!  So, i bought 'wakeboard speakers' and mounted them very low on my rollbar.  The rear speakers are not quite the quality of the front ones - the wakeboard mounts were not cheap - but they sound really good. 

It doesn't have the power of a woofer but it's plenty loud.  I think that at 85mph you'd have a hard time hearing even your woofer. . . ..

I should post my pics one of these days.

Posted: 04-18-2007 05:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Joel

PS:  Here's the link to the wiring diagrams.

http://home.comcast.net/~jrkengr2/html/wiring_diagrams.html

They are AWESOME and have helped me out quite a bit.

Posted: 04-18-2007 11:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
j23mau

Joel, thats a great Idea, but don't have the roll bar to attach the speakers to.  I was thinking of putting some tweaters just inside the vent holes.  Not sure if I will or not but again just a thought.

Thanks for the link..

Jeremy

Posted: 04-18-2007 11:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Joel

I'll post pics soon.  There's a really sweet spot in the door you'll see if you take the panel off and take a look.

Posted: 06-14-2007 09:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Jensenman

My car has a Kenwood single CD player. I used the white/blue wire Mark mentioned and a brown wire for radio memory (brown = constant battery voltage in Lucas wiring, white = ignition or auxilary circuit). The best place to get your constant backup power is the clock wiring harness. If you have purple wires, those are generally courtesy light wires and can also be used for memory backup. Use only plain purple, purple with a stripe is a ground or switched wire and won't have power unless the door jamb switch is closed.

I 'dinged' the edges of the door openings to allow a 5 1/4" Polk speaker to fit. Caution: when doing this, keep the position of the speaker and window crank in mind. I 'dinged' the side of the hole furthest from the window crank so the speaker grille would fit. I have approximately 3/8" clearance from the crank to the grille. Be careful of the depth, too. Some speakers are too 'deep' to fit, there's a brace inside the door in that area (or at least there is on my JH5).

I made two boxes of 1x3's and 7/16" plywood for the rear to mount a pair of 6 1/2" Polks. I used sheet metal screws to hold them to the rear bulkhead and the rear package shelf. Use short screws so you don't punch into the fuel tank! I covered the speaker boxes with Ozite, that's a universal type carpet you can find at just about any Advance, Pep Boys, etc. using spray trim adhesive.

I like some thunder in my stereo too, but I didn't do a subwoofer because when the top is down you lose its 'reflection' of the low frequencies, so you don't get the true feel of a sub. By the time you get a sub and amp big enough to overcome this, it's darn near impossible to find a place to mount it.

Last edited on 06-14-2007 09:25 pm by Jensenman

Current time is 06:47 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Radio and Switch inquiry Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems