Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > On the 7th Day....We Race!

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
On the 7th Day....We Race!  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-26-2007 01:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Judson Manning

Ron does have the 'real' race-car, but as many of you know, I've been campaigning 13492 in Autocross and Solo I for the better part of 10 years.  Due to wife, kids and other priorities I've had to take some time off. 

This weekend was the Central Florida Region of the SCCA's Solo Trials event marking the beginning of the 2007 Solo I season.  http://www.rivergate5speed.com/scca/timetrials/GainesvilleFlyer2007.pdf

Although the event was 350miles away I decided it was worth the effort to get back into the saddle.  Hats off to the CFR for a fantastic event as we tied the record for the most runs in a weekend.  Very well run.

For the first time in my memory, 13492 behaved herself on track and delivered an impressive showing considering the competition.  Although I had a tire with a slow leak and zero rear breaks I finished within 3 sec of the fastest E-prod and CSP cars.  The Hoosier 8" slicks on stock JH rims and the Toyota W58 transmission made a HUGE difference!

OK Ron...your turn to get some seat-time!

Attachment: DSCF1782a.jpg (Downloaded 101 times)

Last edited on 03-26-2007 01:31 am by Judson Manning

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-26-2007 01:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Judson Manning

Some of the Competition...

Attachment: DSCF1784a.jpg (Downloaded 94 times)

Posted: 03-26-2007 11:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
jcdean

Congrats Judson!

87 looks great and I am glad you did as well as you did.  Most of all, seems like you had fun.

Joey

Posted: 03-27-2007 12:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Ron Earp

Excellent!!!! Dang heck of a tow, I know, did about the same to Summit Point this weekend.

So how did the new suspension do? Characteristics? Are you running a LSD, and did you need one? I'm getting ready to send a differential down to Steve to rebuild for mine and it'll have an LSD, he makes them. And fairly inexpensively too. He's also doing the Lola cage but different story.

Sounds like a really good time. I'd like to see that thing on track sometime in the near future in Prod, road racing Prod.

Good job, more pictures!!!

Ron

Posted: 03-27-2007 02:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Judson Manning

Don't get too carried away Ron...that is the Street car not the 'real' Prod car still under construction.  We won't get to shake-down that suspension for at least another 6 months.

I did get plenty of comments on the amount of body roll until I told them it was a 'street' suspension and lack of a full cage.  What's underneath is nothing other than Delta's upgraded spring and sway-bar package; not even adjustable shocks! 

Wheelspin in 2nd gear was a problem.  Those 20" Hoosiers made for an effective 4.38:1 rear-end.  I found it easier to short-shift to 3rd rather than fight the torque multiplier in 2nd.  Even with the W58 having a higher 1.89:1 second gear, it was still a problem. 

All and all the weekend was a success, the car ran every lap, no DNF or DNS, temps great, pressure great; a real confidence booster.  I can live with no rear brakes...been thinking about a disc conversion anyway!

Posted: 03-28-2007 01:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Ron Earp

Have you got an adjustable proportioning valve? I imagine you'll have all you want with that. On the few short times I've been on track in the JH it has had plenty of rear brakes, and it definitely helped, with a valve. The stocker is a POS.

Ok, I understand on the car now, I got excited! I realize now that is the one Jeff and I drove in Atlanta and that felt nice. Good motor, more mid range than the one you built for my car and very nice (one I have is nice too, just different with not as much mid range).

No DNFs, DNSs, is a 100% success in my book. I've got plenty of those in my name. But, oddly enough, when I race a Miata or 260Z I don't get any of those..........

R

Posted: 03-28-2007 01:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
edward_davis

The stock brake setup doesn't have any sort of proportioning valve.  The  Pressure Differential Warning Actuator (PDWA) in the engine compartment is only an electrical switch to turn on the warning light if there is a loss of pressure in one or another circuit.  I just took mine apart, and the pistons on both sides are the same size, which suggests to me that the pressure in the front and rear lines should be ~equal in the stock system.  It would be easy enough to simply design in the front brake bias by choosing the sizes of pistons properly.  Of course, the system is intended for street use with the stock wheel/tire combiation, so you really need to have an adjustable valve in there if you fiddle with any of those, even if you use the stock brakes.  And if you go for the JHPS big brakes, there's a good chance you'll need to adjust the front/rear bias.  Plus, as I understand it, many racers like to tweak front/rear bias depending on the track and conditions. 

If you did put in an adjustable proportioning valve, I'm pretty sure the stock PDWA wouldn't continue to function properly.  There is a chance of the PDWA leaking, even after you rebuild it (don't ask how I know), so it might be best to simply remove it from the system.  I'm thinking about doing that myself, once I get the gumption to get a hard-line bending kit and experiment.

Edward

Posted: 03-28-2007 01:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Judson Manning

The PDWA is a common source for leaks.  Several years ago I tapped either side for a 1/8"NPT plug and took care of that little problem.

No....my problem was a total lack of rear brakes.   I could downshift to use engine braking and the rear would stick like glue.  After a few hot-laps, even the Hawk pads up front weren't enough to slow 13492 down coming into the hair-pin.

Fortunately, I have 3 spare axles 2 of which have the later (self-adjusting) drums.  This may be a good time to swap, but in the end it may simply be that I needed to bleed the brakes before hitting the track.  Just one of about 800 things that 'should' have been done.

Of course if I was going to go to that effort, maybe a set of disc brakes with E-brake capabilities is in store?  Which club member developed that kit last year????

Posted: 03-28-2007 02:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Judson Manning

more pics....

this was taken in a fairly slow portion of the track.  You can see the grid lined-up behind me.

Attachment: Judson-Manning-2a.jpg (Downloaded 87 times)

Posted: 03-28-2007 02:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Judson Manning

This one is hilarious!

Taken just prior to the start-finish line on what amounts to a skid-pad.  I'm clipping along here in 2nd gear about 4,000rpm.

I don't know which is more funny:  The fact that you can see the entire undercarriage, or the fact the car was running competitively with fully prepared Miatas, TR6s, and TR4s????

Attachment: Manning-3a.jpg (Downloaded 97 times)

Posted: 03-28-2007 03:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
jcdean

Judson,

I have an email saved with the rear disk conversion info.  I'll get it to you this evening.

Joey

Posted: 03-28-2007 04:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Ron Earp

Judson Manning wrote: This one is hilarious!

Dude, that thing has some lean mean on, sweet!!!! Going to have to tidy that up quite a bit but it is an excellent shot!!!!

Posted: 03-29-2007 03:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
jcdean

Judson,

You have a PM.

Joey

Posted: 03-29-2007 06:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
pbahr

Judson,

Glad you had such a good track experience.

FWIW, the brake setup on YELODOG is stock except for the following:

1 - Removed splash shields from the front hubs.

2 - Use Porterfield R-4 race compound pads and shoes.

3a - All pistons rebuilt.  Use silicone fluid (ok, don't throw rocks.  I know all the bad things about it, but it works great in the JH and my 911).

3b - All lines were flushed with alcohol and dried prior to silicone conversion.

4 - Bleed brakes after every track event.  I have speed-bleeders installed, so it's a snap to do.

On the 5th lap at Summit Point, I get a little fade on the end of the straight - carrying about 115 mph.  If I back off a bit, it's OK.  If I were racing for position, I would change the brake system, but I'm doing this for fun, so it's no problem.  No problems with rear stopping power. 

Good balance, and neutral drift in corners with 205/50 Yoko A-032.

I must say that the JH is not as stable or comfortable as the 911 or my '98 Neon ACR.  JH rattles and shakes a lot more, but is a challange to drive.

Pete

Attachment: JH @ Summit clean lite.jpg (Downloaded 50 times)

Posted: 03-29-2007 02:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Judson Manning

All good advice Pete.  I've been running Porterfield HPS (R-4s?)on my street cars for years.  After trying Hawk Blue (and destroying a set of rotors in one race), I decided to try their version of HP Street on the JH.  Jury is still out, but MUCH better than the purely street pads I've sourced from Delta in the past.

To be honest, with everything else I've been concentrating on, rear brakes just weren't a priority Three sets of really crappy Spax shocks had me doing spins in the infield at Roebling and zero control at TGPRI.  Delta's new KYBs are MUCH better and at least allowed me to stay on track - such a simple concept!

I agree with what you're saying, the JH is a challenge to drive, but that's part of the fun.  It is purely for fun, and in my case (considering Ron's bad luck) I was happy just to get an official time.  The rest of the Solo I events this year are higher-speed (aka class 3&4 events), and 13492 needs a full cage to compete.  She made it to her one event this year, competed well, and lived up to her racing heritage - mission accomplished.

Anyone else have more pics of their racing/autocross adventures???

Posted: 03-29-2007 03:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
pbahr

Judson,

I tried Hawk Blue on the Neon in Targa Newfoundland this year and had to change Rotors twice in 400 miles of hard racing.  Perhaps they need to be hot all the time to not eat rotors...... 

Really happy with the Porterfield.  I had to specify the pad thickness and the rear drum ID.  I had some back and forth with them on the first order.  Sent them the rear shoes in advance, cause they didn't have any cores.  I don't know what the HPS is, and it's not in my old Porterfield cataloge

My Spax seem to be holding up OK.  No problems so far.

With only a roll bar (reinforced all around, and with a front facing brace), I'm limited to when and where I can drive it.  Even if permitted, I turn down some events for my own safety sake.  I know what happens in a roll-over (did it in the Neon), and a cage is the way to go !!!

Good luck, and have fun,

Pete

Attachment: Shiny side down5 lite.jpg (Downloaded 111 times)

Current time is 09:23 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > On the 7th Day....We Race! Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems