Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Won't start  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-23-2007 08:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Frank Schwartz

I THINK our problem is the fuel pump...but I can't at the moment find my pressure gauge.
The car sat up all winter and now will not start.  Has Crane XR-700 that PO installed.
Cannot get the durned car to even fire.  Seem be be getting a spark at the plugs.
Even tried another coil. All wiring is correct and the ballast resistor and all wiring is
correct and quadruple checked.
I pulled a plug and it is dry....
Any suggestions??  And any recommendations as to a car parts store replacement pump? Assuming the pump is defective....however, I disconnected it from the T and it does pump gas...however I have not, as I said, checked the actual pressure.
The pump is a Purolater.
Crane said that sometimes their units get moisture in them and go bad...how about that for a product reliability?  However, I think the Crane unit is ok
Crane said it is usally battery... and the battery is freshly charged and puts 10.9 volts on the starter UNDER LOAD while cranking..about 13 plus resting.
Any and all suggestions are most welcome...

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-23-2007 10:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Tony Hollart

If the pumps is not "ticking" ie that maddening tick, tick, tick, tick, it may be that the voltage is not reaching the pump. Check fuses up front. The other mode of failure you may have is a fuel line blockage so the pump gets the line up to pressure and then stops because it does not need to deliver any fuel, undo a fuel line at some point and put into a jar and try ignition on and see if fuel comes out.

My tank seems to produce much fuel line blocking rubbish, so I have a put a in line filter on the input side of the pump and one up in the engine bay. The one before the pump gets blocked with rust and spiders and allsorts of rubbish and need to be replaced regularly, so I have a spare in the boot ( Trunk - thats what elephants have) and its easy to put in a fresh one.

Hope this helps, Tony H.

Posted: 03-23-2007 11:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Hi Frank,  Do you smell fuel at the tailpipe?

Assuming the car "ran when parked" it's probably gunk left from evaporating fuel or moisture in the distributor cap. 

If you have spark, the fuel pump and filters are certainly the first suspects with needle valves second. 

I hesitate to instruct you on things automotive after years of reading your instructive posts on the "list". I'm sure she'll be up and running soon.

Keep us posted,

Kurt Housh

Posted: 03-24-2007 04:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Frank Schwartz

Well, so far, I have eliminated the fuel pump.  Found my gauge and it shows exactly
3 pounds of pressure at the "T"..so it is not fuel flow.  I still feel the ignition (Crane) is suspect. As soon as my son comes over so he can help me, he can use the ignition key
while I check that I am getting a good spark.  I  have a coil lead to plug into the coil and see if a good spark is produced as the distributor turns...is this is good...then the only problem not solved or double checked is the carburetors.  Maybe the floats are stuck...gosh, how I hate removing those buggers...especially since I know absolutely zilch about those Strombergs...
I will report back to this thread once I get into this more...
Thanks for all the advice from everyone.

Posted: 03-25-2007 12:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Frank Schwartz

More:  Well, the fuel pump was ok and I am getting a spark...still not firing.  Even squirted some starting fluid in the intake...nothing....I am really confused at this point. 
Guess I will take the carbs off now and see what is going on inside.  Front one seems to use a bit of the oil in the piston you put in at the top. 
The timing belt is quite tight and inasmuch as the car ran when it was put up for a few months,  it is hard to beleive it could have jumped timing.
OK, gurus...feed me some input as to what to do next!!!!

Posted: 03-25-2007 03:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I have had more trouble with the cap and rotor. Even if the coil sends a spark to the cap it may not get to the plugs. Connect a used spark plug and lay it on the cam cover. It will be clear if you have spark when you crank the starter. Double check the easy stuff first.

Kurt

Posted: 03-25-2007 05:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Frank Schwartz

Kurt, et al
I did get a spark and also took the coil wire loose and got a spark to the ground when cranking...I just removed the carburetors...yechhh..what a pain and found both float bowls full with gas and the shut off valve when the bowls are full are working ok.
Still, I think it is the ignition.  Now that I have the carbs off...I wonder if it would be safe
to give a shot of engine start spray in each inlet and see if it will fire.   If it doesn't fire. we will know durn well it is the ignition unit...(Crane)
One of the carbs leaks the oil in the plunger thing on top...how is that corrected..the other one seems to keep the oil ok.
Thanks for the help and interest...
Frank
Oh, yes, son Mark said he could smell gas in the tail pipe.  I asked him to check that as you suggested...not strong but there...and I did not find any collection of gas in the intake manifold where the carbs bolt up..they were pretty dry....

A mystery..the whole durned thing....

Posted: 03-27-2007 12:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Dan (Florida)

As I previously stated on 3-7 check your distributor to see if it hasn't jumped out of its drive connection.  You can have all the fuel and spark in the world  but if it doesn't happen at the correct time no car will start.  It happens without warning and you have all the spark in the world.  Pull the distributor and reseat it in its drive (not a pleasant task  but you need to be sure it's in time.  The more these distributors wear the more likely this will happen.  If you have a lot of movement in the distributor shaft in and out when it is out of the car  the spring in the oil pump  distributor drive will push the distributor shaft right out of its seat.  Also make sure the distributor seats tightly when you put it together.

hth

Dan 

Posted: 03-27-2007 06:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Frank Schwartz

Well, I took the cap off the dist. and the shaft is very snug.  It could not be out...and if it had been pushed up, the rotating disk in the trigger thing would be rubbing. The timing belt is tight as well. Hopefully by this weekend, a replacement...like new...Crane unit is coming ...bought it on eBay and will replace the old one...plus it comes with the blaster
coil, too...the coil in the JH is the original..although I replaced it temporarily with another and got the same results I had been having. I feel definitely it is the ignition unit...everything else has been double checked. I do have some of the piston damper fluid leaking out the front carb...anyone know how to fix this?  And as soon as the "new" ignition unit, complete with trigger assembly and blaster coil arrives and is installed, I will report back the results.
Oh, in case I did not mention it, I checked the fuel pump pressure and it was 3.5 pounds...

Current time is 09:55 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > Won't start Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems