Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Cooling > Thermostat diameter larger than pumps recess

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Thermostat diameter larger than pumps recess  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-18-2007 03:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Dan Eiland

I'm in the process of reassembling my engine and just installed my new water pump which is from Dave Bean. I went to install the new thermostat and it won't fit into the recess in the top of the water pump. When I measured the diameter of the recessed area in the water pump and the diameter of the thermostat it turns out that the recessed area in the new water pump is 0.010" less than my old water pump and therefore too small for the thermostat to drop into place. Has anyone run across this issue before and if so, what did you do about it? I was thinking I could just file off 0.010" from around the outside of the thermostat. Wondering what others thoughts are on this issue.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-18-2007 04:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Haven't seen this problem in decades but it was not unheard of in the early days of foreign-made auto parts.  In any event, the short answer is yes, provided you don't create any sneak paths for the coolant to bypass the thermostat.  For the upper (locating) disk, Wellseal or Permatex will help ensure that.  For the movable (valve) disk at the bottom of the thermostat, you need to remove material equally around its entire circumferance.

For this sort of task, I've found that emery cloth over a stick is generally a better tool choice than a file.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 09:47 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Cooling > Thermostat diameter larger than pumps recess Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems