Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Engine break-in procedures & break-in oils

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Engine break-in procedures & break-in oils  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-11-2007 12:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Dan Eiland

I'm working on reassembling my engine this week and was wondering if there are any special break-in procedures I should follow and if I should use any special oil to break-in the engine once it has been reassembled?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-11-2007 07:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jon Plowe

As it's a Lotus unit you need a special type that won't show up on your garage floor!!

Posted: 03-11-2007 11:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Dan Eiland

Show me a LBC and I'll show you an oil spot!

Seriously, I just purchased Castrol GTX High Mileage SAE 20W50 motor oil for the assembly process and I'll use the same in the engine as per Greg's input. I am also changing over to the newer style cam carriers, thanks to Garry Kemp who supplied mine and Joe Huffaker's. I finished the auxiliary housing rebuild and set it aside and today I have been working on the head. Just finished changing all the old valve springs to the DMS competition springs and I'm getting ready to move my 104 cams over to the new cam carriers.  Next will be to set all the valves. I have some shims but I don't know whether they are the correct sizes for the new cams. I'll install the cams, then dry assemble the head and cam carriers so I can check clearances, then I should have a good idea as to what size shims I will need for each valve. I'll check back in a little while to see if anyone has any input.

Posted: 03-20-2007 02:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Dan Eiland

I was reading on another site I belong to about breaking in a newly rebuilt engine and they were recommending using the Castrol 30W for the first 500 miles and then change to the Castrol 20W50. Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

Posted: 03-20-2007 03:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Just run 20-50. How is it going to hurt the engine? Are your tolerances are so tight that hot 50wt can't flow? If you find that your hot idle oil pressure is 70 psi then use a thinner oil.

Posted: 03-20-2007 07:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
smcmanus

Dan

A thought:  You could check the clearances with the valve springs off while standing comfortably next to your work bench.  Install the cam carriers and hold the valve up with your finger and measure the gap to see what size shims you'll need.  Of course things may change slightly with torque and sealant, but it would be nice to know if you are in the ballpark before you torque the head down.

Have a nice day

Steve

Current time is 12:22 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Engine break-in procedures & break-in oils Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems