Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
smcmanus

I rebuilt the carbs and the engine runs very nicely.  It idles down and has a wonderful throaty growl.  I ran it a good while and let it warm up.  Next day there is coolant on the floor which I can trace back to the blow hole on the water pump.  Very irritating because it sat in my garage without leaking a drop for a year.  Then I see the pool of oil coming from the bell-housing.  It must be the rear seal.  No surprise because all the seals on the front of the engine were rock hard and cracked.  Then when I tried to shift into gear I find the clutch is stuck.

I drove it a little and held the clutch but it wouldn't release.  I guess I have to pull the transmission and unstick the clutch and to replace the rear main seal anyway. 

Still it is fun to have it moving under its own power again after all these years.  Not really a question but any insight is appreciated.

Have a nice day

Steve

Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Steve, can't help you with the leaks, but a quick way to free a stuck clutch is to get the rear wheels FIRMLY off the ground, start the car in gear, rev it up and slam on the breaks while the clutch pedal is depressed.

Brett.

smcmanus

Wow, I never thought or heard of that method, but it sounds promising.  I'll put it on the lift and give it a try.  If it doesn't work, I have to pull the transmission to replace the rear seal sometime anyhoo. 

Thanks

Steve

smcmanus

Well I got the car back in the shop and on the lift this morning.  I warmed it up then shut it off and started it in gear.  I accelerated and, while holding down the clutch pedal, yanked on the parking brake.  It killed the engine so I tried again several times adding throttle while braking.  I'm sure it works most of the time, but it didn't work for me.  I'm heading back to the shop in a few minutes to take out the last bolt and remove the transmission.

Oh well.........

Steve

smcmanus

Here is a picture of the gravity defying stuck clutch. 

While I'm in there, is there anything else that needs attending to?

Thanks

Steve

Attachment: JHclutch.jpg (Downloaded 53 times)

smcmanus

I finally got it back together.  A few notes. 

The engine rear main seal was about a tenth of an inch thicker than the original seal so I pushed it in flush on both sides, instead of offest as per the manual.  The seal carrier gasket is apparently not available so I used Loctite 518, my new favorite sealant for certain leak-proof seals.  The clutch was as thick as a new one and simply rusted solid to the pressure plate.  It popped off with a slight pry.  I cleaned the FW and PP with fine emory cloth to a shiny finish which only took a few minutes.  Acess to the transmission fill plug seems difficult.  I ended up using a hose from the fill plug to a funnel under the hood.  It was slow to fill but much better that a face full of gearlube while trying to install the gearbox.

I add these notes in the hope that someone will find them useful in the future.

Have a nice day

Steve

Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I use a hand pump made for gear lube to fill the transmission.

I did drill a small hole in the sheet metal adjacent to the fill plug and was planning to cut an access hole but got lazy about creating a cover. How often does one fill the tranny anyway? Don't answer that Ron!

Kurt

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems