Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Oil filler cap  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-26-2007 12:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
smcmanus

Does it matter which way the cam covers are installed?  I've see them mounted with the oil filler in front and rear.  The parts book seems to show the filler in the rear, plus the script reads correctly this way.  In the engine removal thread just abeam, I see both variations!  Also, how can I verify I'm getting oil up to the cams?

I've got my engine back together and it runs!  Actually, it runs quite well, but I'm sure I need some carb tuning.

Thanks

Steve

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-27-2007 07:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Tony Hollart

I put the oil filler at the back working on the theory if any oil is spilt or sprays out while checking for oil in the cam housing, it is less likely to end up on the cam belt. Oil and cam belts is not a good mix. Lets face it everything else is difficult to access         ( distributer, dip stick, exhaust manifold ) you would hardly want to make it easy to put oil into would you?

Mine runs with heaps of oil in the cam covers, they literally bath in oil that fills the area up to about a 1/3 full. Proof enough it gets up there.

Posted: 02-27-2007 10:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
smcmanus

I had a good sized leak out of the aft lower exhaust cam cover bolt. When I pulled it to reseal it, oil poured out so I'm getting oil there.  I put the filler cap on the rear and can see some oil flow through the intake cam, but not nearly as much as the exhaust.  The intake cam tower aft drain hole isn't plugged like the exhaust side.

Have a nice day

Steve

Posted: 03-07-2007 08:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Tony Hollart

Oil filler at rear on 907 engine fitted into an Elite, Lotus would not get their cam covers the wrong way round would they?

Attachment: oil filler rear.jpg (Downloaded 51 times)

Posted: 03-08-2007 07:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
colinw59

As with most British sports cars, it's not were the oil goes in that's the problem!!

Current time is 07:42 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Oil filler cap Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems