Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Trouble bleeding brakes  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-22-2007 08:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Jim Collins

After rebuilding both calipers up front, drivers side bled quickly, but right side wont.  We were able to remove the line by the pressure differential warning actuator and 'reverse' vacuum, in case there was blockage, and it was clear.  When reattaching the line and going back to the right caliper, we were not successful.  Could this be a bad actuator?  What else could be the problem?  We tried both a vacuum bleeder and just pumping the pedal.  In both cases, air was coming through, but after 10 minutes, no fluid.

Thanks for any help,

Jim

'73 JH, 11749

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-23-2007 11:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
edward_davis

Just a guess here, but have you replaced the soft lines as well?  I understand that somemtimes the old ones get flaps of cast off rubber in them that  can act as intermittent one-way valves.  I'm sure someone else will have a better idea.

I dont think it could be the PDWA, though, since both front brakes attach to the same 'chamber' of the device.  I suppose there could be a blockage in only one of the passages coming out of it. 

When you pump the pedal while that bleeder screw is open, do you get air pressure, or is the air static in the line?  I'm just thinking that a 'one-way valve' that prevented pressure from getting to the caliper wouldn't stop your test of vacuuming at the PDWA connection.

I hope someone else can be of more help

-Edward

Posted: 02-23-2007 02:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Judson Manning

Jim,

Patience young Jedi...If air was continuing to come through for 10min, it had to be coming from somewhere.  Either the M/C, lines, or the caliper itself.  My guess is you may have overlooked something on the Passanger side caliper during the rebuild and/or reassembly.

Judson

Posted: 02-23-2007 06:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jim Collins

I  took off the culprit caliper and replaced the little black washer and that did the trick.  I just love it when something that should be so simple can turn into an ordeal.  Thanks for the replies!  Jim

Current time is 11:24 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Brakes > Trouble bleeding brakes Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems