Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Jensen Healey parts car in North Carolina

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Jensen Healey parts car in North Carolina  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-19-2007 01:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Faded92MX5

Okay, I found this website while browsing for information on the Jensen Healey, which, before today, I knew practically nothing about. I thought someone may be interested in the car, and would rather see someone get use out of it, rather than it be crushed.

Here is the story:

I went to look at a VW Beetle parts car with a friend of mine on Saturday. The seller also had this sitting in his back yard. From a distance, looking at just the rear end, I thought it was a Triumph TR-6, and walked over to look at it. I quite fancy TR-6s, and so I just had to have a look. But, as I got closer, I realized it was something different. THIS is what it was. The guy selling the Beetle told me that his dad used to do some mechanic work on the side in the 70s and 80s, and in 1980 had taken this in to be worked on. I don't know what was wrong with it, but the engine was pulled, and disassembled. When he told the owner what it would take to fix it, he must have run away screaming and was never heard from again. So, there it sat...for twenty six years, until the first non-redneck (me) walked into the back yard and showed some interest in it.

So, my plan was to buy it, and maybe turn it into a track day car...but after some research, I don't think that would be very cost effective or feasible for that matter.

From what I saw, its pretty much complete, and the interior doesn't seem too bad off. Most of the rust was on the surface, and I couldn't find any big holes. I couldn't see much of the bottom side though. Its probably a nightmare under there.

If anyone is interested in this, let me know. The guy is going to make sure his father doesn't want it for any reason (which is highly doubtful) and judging by the price of the Beetle my friend picked up, it will be dirt cheap. If you aren't quite local, I can go back and take a lot more pictures (and also get the VIN, but I believe this is an MK2) and I may even be willing do deliver...for a fee. But, all this can be discussed when the time comes.

Attachment: jhealey.jpg (Downloaded 166 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-19-2007 12:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Ron Earp

Do you have contact information for the seller? Location? If you saw the other thread on my JH race car that tried to self-destruct this weekend then you know I might need some parts....

Thanks,
Ron

Last edited on 02-19-2007 12:27 pm by Ron Earp

Posted: 02-19-2007 02:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Faded92MX5

Hehe, yeah, I saw that.  That car is really cool.

I don't personally know the seller; he works with my friend. He was going to let me know today what it would cost to get the car. I will get all the info from him too.

The car is about 5 miles south of High Point/Trinity/Archdale area down I-85. I couldn't tell you how to get there, as I don't know the area, but I can get specific directions from my friend.  Regretably, I didn't pay a lot of attention when we were driving there, because I guess I figured that I would never be going back there again...until I found the Healey.

Posted: 02-19-2007 06:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
jcdean

Ron,

If you buy the thing for parts, I'll take the top if it is in fair shape.

Joey

Posted: 02-19-2007 06:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Ron Earp

Top might be the only thing worth having. If it has been sitting that long I imagine the rear end is a rust pile inside, as would be the gear box. Bumpers indicate an early JH so it wouldn't have the five speed I would need. Looks like the top might have a, holy smokes, sun roof cut into it!!!!!

Posted: 02-19-2007 06:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Faded92MX5

Yeah, there is a sunroof there. I inspected it very shortly, but couldn't tell if it was original or home-made. It looked very odd to me...sat at least an inch higher than the rest of the roof. Very odd indeed.

Last edited on 02-19-2007 06:58 pm by Faded92MX5

Posted: 02-19-2007 07:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Ron Earp

That ain't original by any stretch!

R

Posted: 02-19-2007 09:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Judson Manning

Sam and Cindy Marble here in Atlanta recently bought a factory hard-top that had a sunroof installed.  During the cold months it's not all that bad at providing ventilation!

Posted: 02-19-2007 09:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Faded92MX5

Personally, I hate sunroofs. They are pointless, and you forget they even exist after a month.

Its too bad that practically every new car on the market has an option for a sunroof. It seems as though every model exept base models have a sunroof....and the only way to get desirable options is to tack on a mandatory sunroof.

Posted: 02-19-2007 10:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Ron Earp

I competely concur with your analysis on sunroofs and new cars. I hate them too, but every car that my wife and I have ever bought or looked at requires that option to get the other cool stuff you want. Not so in Europe where you can put together some cool BMW, Audis, Fords etc. on their websites and get exactly what you want sans roof.

What's up with the car, how much does that fellow want? I might could use some parts for the race car for sure and am interest, and live in NC.

Ron

Posted: 02-19-2007 11:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Faded92MX5

I haven't heard from him yet. He was supposed to call me after work (around 5 or 6). I will try calling my friend to see what he said at work today.

Posted: 02-19-2007 11:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Faded92MX5

Okay, I called my buddy. The guy that has the car hasn't seen his father since saturday, so he didn't have a price yet. Hopefully tomorrow... but my friend is going to get his phone number for you tomorrow at the very least.

Posted: 02-20-2007 12:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Ron Earp

That is kind of you, I and I'm sure a lot of other Jensen folks appreciate it. There will be parts on the car that someone is looking for I'm certain. I need a couple of things, and I'm sure others will need more than I. I have a trailer so as long as it rolls I could get it.  However, I'm not looking to restore it, but part it. It might be another Jensen person would want to save it. In any event, I could have a look and report back so folks could make a decision.

Ron

Posted: 02-20-2007 05:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Faded92MX5

Yeah, it seems like you need quite a bit of stuff for that race car. I don't know if its really worth restoring.

Posted: 02-21-2007 06:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Faded92MX5

Ron, sorry about the delays; my friend has been somewhat unreliable with producing a contact phone number for you.

Posted: 02-22-2007 11:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Ron Earp

Any more information on that car or a good location?

Best,
Ron

Posted: 02-23-2007 04:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Faded92MX5

Ron, sorry, still no news from my friend. I will call him again tonight when he gets off work. Sorry this is going so slowly, its embarrasing.

Current time is 10:10 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Jensen Healey parts car in North Carolina Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems