Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Spark Plug Gap?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-13-2005 01:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Ben Friedman

After numerous (and increasingly frustrating) episodes toying with the points in my distributor, I have finally given up and decided to switch to a Petronix ignition with a Flamethrower coil (both from the JHPS store).  My parts are scheduled to arrive today, so my question is this: will I need to reset the spark plug gap now that I have that many more volts running through my system, and if so, to what distance?

Also, any information or tips regarding the conversion process would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Ben

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-13-2005 12:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brian Kelly

Hello Ben, there was a discussion a while back about plug gap with the Pertronics on the old board.  As I recall a gap of .035” was recommended which is where I have mine set and all seems fine.

Also, read the instructions that come with the Flame thrower coil you get.  The version I got from Delta (I believe it was the flame thrower II) called for removal of the Ballast resistor located on the fire wall.  To do this you can just remove the wires from the ballast and connect them to each other OR if you have the electrical schematic study it and you’ll see that you can remove the start up ignition wires which bypass the ballast when ignition key is in the start position. With the new coil and the ballast resistor out the higher starting voltage circuit is redundant. Removing it simplifies the wiring under the bonnet.

Just something to consider,

Brian

Posted: 04-13-2005 12:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Hi Ben,

You can change the plug gap to optimize performance but it's not a requirement. Try .035. I run .040 with the Pertronix and MSD6a.

The Pertronix will change your timing considerably so re-set it before running the car. Once it's running and you can use a timing light, 34 degrees at maximum advance is the recommended setting.

Good luck,

Kurt Housh

Posted: 04-13-2005 09:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
John Kimbrough

Ben, I switched to Pertronix and documented the process on my web page.

http://home.comcast.net/~jrkengr2/

Posted: 04-16-2005 03:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Last edited on 04-16-2005 03:13 am by Jensen Healey

Current time is 02:12 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > Spark Plug Gap? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems