Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Transmission reinstall issue

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Transmission reinstall issue  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-14-2007 10:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Dave Sollish

After pulling the transmission to fix the starter ring gear I decided to replace the rear main seal and the clutch. Not that they were bad it's just that it was the best opportunity. However  after stuggling for a couple of hours to refit the transmission  I discovered that the new clutch plate  lead in  (the chamfered edge on the clutch plate that the  transmission  splines start in)  was  too tight  and had some burrs on it! Althougth the clutch alignment tool fit the clearance was such that unless you aligned the transmission PERFECTLY it would not fit up. This is a very hard thing to do when lying on your back under the car. I had to take the clutch disk and hand file the lead in until it slid on the transmission splines easily. Then I could re-fit the transmission. Since I had removed and replaced this transmission a couple of times before without a hitch it hadn't occured to trial fit the new parts.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-14-2007 07:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

That's frustrating! Was this a Sachs - Borg & Beck disc?

Posted: 02-14-2007 07:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Dave Sollish

The original was a Borg & Beck (which fit great) the replacement didn't have the same markings not sure who made it

Current time is 11:16 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Transmission reinstall issue Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems