Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Yellow Dog - Pbarr? - 5 speed linkage fix - help!

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Yellow Dog - Pbarr? - 5 speed linkage fix - help!  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-11-2007 10:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Ron Earp

I've got to fix a 5 speed linkage and fast! As in three days. I think Yellow Dog had something for that, does anyone have a link to that site or his email? I might be getting the folks confused, Yellow Dog and Pbarr, but not sure.  Any help would be welcome.

Thanks!
Ron

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-11-2007 10:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Ron Earp

Found it here:

http://jhppg.com/pk0604.htm

Posted: 02-12-2007 10:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Ron Earp

Well, after all the fix isn't that bad. Unfortunately there were no replacement parts to be bought and thus I needed to come up with some other solution.

On my transmission my selector shaft coming out of the box has an elongated hole where the rest of the shift mechanism ties into it. Ditto on a couple other of the holes where pins go through just generally putting a lot of slop in the mechanism.

So, I found the next largest drill size that I have roll pins for and simply opened all the holes up to that dimension and re-pinned them. Did it work?

Like a champ! While it isn't as tight as a four speed by any stretch of the imagination, it is somewhat positive and gears can be properly found. And it doesn't wiggle wobble all over the place while in gear as it used to.

Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do when these wear out, probably replace the crummy ball/sleeve pinned joint with a universal joint like it should be in the first place.

If you five speed has issues this is a relatively simple fix you can do at home if you need. Now I just have to stuff the thing back in the car.....got it out in 27 mins including exhaust removal and driveshaft drop, need to get it back in with a time under that!

Ro

Posted: 02-12-2007 11:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
jcdean

Get a seasons racing in this year and we'll see how fast it comes out in the fall.

Glad you got it back together and it is working.

Joey

Posted: 02-13-2007 01:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Ron Earp

It might drop out in pieces in the fall.......we're not optimistic on the long term survival of the 5 speed.......

We've a test day this Saturday at VIR and I think with this transmission issue somewhat solved we are good to go for that. Providing it survives the test day the first race will be at Rockingham NC, the old NASCAR track, in early March. We run 7/8s of the oval, then go into the infield. So, top speed will be obtained at Rockingham for sure.

I'm planning to take a digital video camera and shoot some in car there and will post or host it on my site when done.

Ron

Posted: 02-13-2007 03:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
jcdean

Well, I am a member at both sites so I am ready to see it.  Now you just need the T70 up and running and we'll have lot's of footage.

Posted: 02-13-2007 01:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Ron Earp

I *think*, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, that we have a new cage guy for the Lola that will start next week. He is a SCCA tech inspector and has actually done a cage in a Vintage Lola before. I'm hoping he'll take the job and if he does it'll help a lot since the other cage guy isn't scheduled until April.

Ron

Posted: 02-14-2007 02:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Ron Earp

The transmission is back in the car, bolted up, all in place. I can definitely say that the difference in incredible. If you have a worn out five speed in your car, that is the linkage is sloppy, you can definitely fix it yourself with a little patience.

On mine I ended up drilling all the holes oversize to fit a common English bolt size, which was just a bit larger than the metric (I think it is metric) pins used. I then ended up using bolts in one of the locations, pins in the other, to tighen up the linkage. On one of the bolt installs the head will interfere with the driveshaft output but a die grinder will take care of that and give more than enough clearance to allow safe operation.

Not *quite* as good as the four speed IMHO with respect to shift quality, but pretty good.

Ron

Current time is 09:15 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Yellow Dog - Pbarr? - 5 speed linkage fix - help! Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems