Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > When to Have Headers Coated

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
When to Have Headers Coated  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-02-2007 04:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Dan Eiland

I plan to have my headers coated and was wondering if anyone has done this? Since I have not finished the car and engine rebuilding process, I can not fit the headers to the engine at this time. I was waiting to be able to fit the engine in the car and then install the headers to see if any minor adjustments have to be made to the header before having the header coated. What have others done in this area? Is it necessary to wait or can I safely send my headers out to be coated? Also, how does one fit the exhaust system to the header once it is coated? All assistance is appreciated.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-02-2007 11:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jim Ketcham

Dan,

I've had two sets of Delta's headers coated with the "ceramic aluminum" coating.  Both headers fit both cars perfectly with no need for modification.  I fitted the headers on my engine before installation.  I installed engine and transmission from below both times.  Actually, it is more accurate to say I installed the car over the drive train each time.  Pictures are in the gallery (New York, VIN 17691, VIN 17948).

Regards,

Jim

Posted: 02-05-2007 02:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Paul Koehler

I bought Delta's header, had it coated (Swain) and install on the engine, that was raised up with a cherry picker, just enough to get the headers bolted on. Then lowered the whole shebang back into the vehicle VERY CAREFULLY, it seemed like 4-5mm at a time, and quilled it all down. The coating is quite tough, withstanding the dropped wrench and rachet routine nicely, but perhaps the biggest benefit (in my perception) is the lowering of footwell temp. PK

Posted: 02-05-2007 03:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Dan Eiland

From your input it sounds like it is safe to send the headers out to be coated. Thanks for the input guys. One more question--Does the ceramic coating get in the way of attaching the exhaust to the header?

Posted: 02-05-2007 10:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Paul Koehler

Just mask off an area you feel is sufficient for attaching to the rest of the system, and  attach a note to the coating company of your choice to leave it bare metal.

It might also be a good time to inspect/replace engine & tranny mounts. The last tranny mount I got from Delta, needed some tweeking. There are various posts to that effect. PK

Posted: 02-06-2007 12:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Dan Eiland

Has anyone attempted to weld on a flange so you could bolt the exhaust in place?

Current time is 10:13 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > When to Have Headers Coated Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems