Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > 5 Speed Transmission shifter rebuild

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
5 Speed Transmission shifter rebuild  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-12-2005 01:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
George

Hello all.  Does anyone know where I can learn what is involved in rebuilding the linkage on my rather mushy 5 speed?  I talked to Jim at Delta and he has a shift kit for about $80, but I was curious if anyone knew somewhere where the steps needed were written out so a novice like myself could see what I might be getting into.  Like everyone else, I don't seem to be able to search the old postings and  I do like the new bulletin board format.

Thanks

George

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-12-2005 12:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

George, rebuilding the shifter is rather easy, if you have the schematic of what it looks like (If you dont I have one I can E-mail you) you'll see it's just basically a couple of plastic bushing's that wear out (items #14) and a piece of rubber padding (item #25), the Delta kit includes these along with the trunnion and retainer (items #23 & 24) I think most of the $80 covers the cost of these two items.

What I found with my shifter was that  the trunnion (23) and retainer (24) were fine just the other parts worn out, so worn out you would'nt even know they had been there, so instead of buying the kit I went to a local bearing company and bought bronze bushings to replace the plastic ones (14) (last a whole lot longer)  and cut a piece of rubber a 1/4" thick (25), there was an update found in the Service Bulletins, (which can be purchased thru the Club Book Store) in which it's recomended that a piece of rubber hose be placed over the shaft area of the gear shift linkage (item #13) (I think I used 5/8" water hose) which reduces some vibration, depending on its condition I would also recomend looking at replacing the insulator (item #17) the rear rubber mount, (Delta have them).

What you need to do is remove the center counsel between the seats, remove the shifter knob, unbolt the insulator (17) were it comes thru into the consul area.

Get the car securely in the air, crawl under, hopefully your exhaust wont be in the way as mine was, I also removed the drive shaft for more room but it's not necassary, then expand the retainer (24) thats over the trunnion (23) and slide it back (dont expand to much just enougn to slide out of the way,dont want to break it) next push one of the pins out of the trunnion, so far so good, next unbolt the whole assembly from the Transmission  2 bolts at the front of trans. and there you have it the whole piece can be removed then and you can change out the parts on your work bench.

Again with mine I noticed some play in the pin that went thru the bottom of the shifter arm and the arm hole was not round any more so I drilled the arm hole slightly larger and used a bigger pin along with bigger bushings from the bearing shop, I even did the same thing to the trunnion wholes and used bigger pins there as well.

( "Word of caution", I only made things a few thousands bigger I would not recommend going to large there by weaking some parts) 

Hope this does'nt sound confusing but as I said before it's not a tough job and the results are amazing I couldnt believe how notchy my shifter became from the old make a wish shifter.

Well good luck

Brett.

Posted: 04-12-2005 01:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
George

Wow.  Just the info I needed and thanks for the quick response.  Now I have no excuse not to do it.  I have the workshop manual, and therefore the picture.  So I guess I'll get the parts and get to work.

Thanks again.

george

Posted: 04-16-2005 01:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
pbahr

George,

I've found that Shifter assemblies with high mileage, or used in a dirty/sandy environment have several other areas of wear:
  • The most notable one being the Shaft-pivot.  This item wears both the shaft, and more importantly, the Aluminum casting in which it rides.  A full repair requires modification of both the ID and OD of these surfaces. 
  • The Spherical Bearing has some adjustment available, although minimum.
A major part of the Shifter repair problem is that you need access to a Machine Shop to do it correctly.  If you need more information or details, contact me off-line, by clicking on my member name to the left of this message, or check out: http://jhppg.com/pk0604.htm .

Pete

Posted: 04-18-2005 03:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
George

Thanks Pete.  I saw your site after I had already ordered the shift kit from Delta.  Anyway, thanks for the advice and I'll be in touch if I find I need the engine damper.

George

Posted: 05-23-2005 11:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
pbahr

George,

Did the Delta kit solve your problem???????????

Pete

Posted: 05-24-2005 11:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
George

Yup. The Delta kit fixed it right up, and Brett’s instructions were right on the money. Speaking of money, Brett was also right that all I needed was the two bushings and the little rubber piece. I did not even use the other, and probably the most expensive, parts of the "kit". If I were to do it again, I would just get those three pieces. (Like Brett, I also needed to replace the transmission mount.) Thanks agin for all the help.

What’s with all the question marks?

George

Posted: 05-28-2005 03:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
pbahr

George wrote:
What’s with all the question marks?

George

Cat stepped on my keyboard.

Current time is 08:17 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > 5 Speed Transmission shifter rebuild Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems