Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Switching Wiper Motor Mounting Location

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Switching Wiper Motor Mounting Location  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-31-2007 05:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Dan Eiland

The bolts under the dash that hold the wiper motor in place are in bad shape on the left side of my car, but I noticed Jensen has identical mounting bolts on the right side under the dash. Can I move the wiper motor to the right side above and behind the glovebox on my left hand drive car? Seems logical to me.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-31-2007 02:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
colinw59

My gut feeling is no you can't, for three reasons.

1) Right hand drive cars have wipers that operate in the reverse direction to left hand drive cars. In that they rest on the left side of the windshield, sweeping to the right. Which is why the stainless trim at the base of the windshield has two redundant semicircular notches on the botton edge.

2) The relative position of the motor mount holes and the wiper drive holes in the cowl may not be symetrical (see the last sentance of 1) above).

3) There may not be enough space behing the dashboard for the wiper motor.

If you try it let us know how you get on. Good luck,

Colin 

Posted: 01-31-2007 02:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Dan Eiland

IIRC, when I restored my old Sunbeam Tiger the wiper motor was on the right side of the car. It looks as if these two cars use the same basic parts and the same motors for this operation. I'm not sure if there is a difference or not since I know longer own the Tiger. I will look through some of my old photos and see what things looked like. How were other LBC's of this time period done? Anyone with an MG, Triumph or other make to compare with on this board?

Posted: 01-31-2007 03:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
colinw59

The location of the motor 'out of factory' is, I think, irrelevant. The Lucas motor could well be the same form one vehicle to another, or from left hand to right hand drive. What's important is what's on the inside. IIRC the motor stops in the rest or home position when it ceases to get power. This dictated by the position of a dead spot on a power contact surface/disc. This dead spot has power only when the wiper is in the on position, whereas the remainder of the surface has constant power (post ignition). So when you turn off the wipers, they keeps moving until they hit this dead spot, where power to the motor is cut off and the wipers stop. I took a wiper motor & mechanism apart once 35 years ago, and this is how the wiper always stops at the correct position. I appreciate though that this system may not be employed on all cars.  

Posted: 02-01-2007 12:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

According to the parts list, LHD and RHD cars use the same parts save for one of the wiper arms.  If so, then the differences would be in the manner in which the various components are assembled, and in the orientation of the wiper motor's gear when the wipers are parked.  The latter would doubtless determine whether the wiper blades sweep up and to the right as is proper for LHD cars, or up and to the left as is proper for RHD cars.

If one's dash is disassembled, it should be easy enough to experiment and determine what's what.  IIRC, on an LHD car the only thing that might cause interference with a wiper motor on the right, is the glove box.

Finally, I recall reading, many years back, that with some Lucas wiper motors the internal park contact disk needs to be re-oriented between LHD and RHD cars so that the wipers would park correctly.

Posted: 02-01-2007 01:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Dan Eiland

Sounds like I need to start looking into these pieces parts. Since my car is disassembled at the moment, it might be a good time to experiment. Of course my car is at the body shop and I would have to wait until it returns to install things from the right side and then add power in order to get things working so I can check things out. I can start by cleaning up the parts to make sure everything is in good working order to start. Next I could pull the motor apart to check the gear and the internal stops. Maybe I could get hold of a wiper motor from a right hand drive car and compare it to our left hand drive wiper motors to see if there is a difference.  

Current time is 10:56 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Switching Wiper Motor Mounting Location Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems