Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Bulkhead Interior Vent Control Set-up?

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Bulkhead Interior Vent Control Set-up?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-29-2007 05:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

I'm trying to get my dashboard back in the car, but before it actually goes in, I need to figure out how the bulkhead vents are hooked up. These are the smallish metal squares under the dashboard that flap in or out depending on where the knob-rod attachment is. It's not clear to me which rod goes on which side since they are different, how they go through the vent mount holes and where or what the knob on the ends is attached to. Anyone have have any photos of this area? The Parts Catalogue is lacking any detail in this area.

Thanks!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-30-2007 01:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
colinw59

Hi Greg    

I just posted three pics of the right side bulkhead vent from #15851, pre-restoration. Click on the link below and the pics are at the bottom of page two. I removed both vents (be carefull with the plastic snap-in hinges), media blasted, and painted them. I added some thin (1/8") draught ecluding foam to seal against the bulkhead, when in the vents are in the closed position.  They are handed so pay attention. Good luck, Colin

http://jhppg.com/gallery/74-Jensen-Healey-15851?page=1

Posted: 01-30-2007 03:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

Thanks Colin, that's very helpful! Those plastic hinges are able to snap out?

Posted: 01-30-2007 04:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
colinw59

IIRC the push retainers for the plastic hinges have a small tapered pin in the centre that must be pushed in (or pulled out, can't remeber which) to release the retainers grip on the through hole in the bulkhead. Very fiddley, probable a tad brittle and a little difficult to get to. Good luck Colin 

Posted: 01-31-2007 01:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
edward_davis

I'd like to know what the bulkhead vents are for.  Are they to provide ventilation since the 'vent' windows on a JH don't open?  It seems like the ball vents would do that, too. 

Do the bulkhead vents connect to the heated air from the heater, or do they just vent outside air from the cowl air collector?

I'm especially curious because the slider bars that control the vents on my JH are 'tired' in some way, so the vents stay open even when I make an effort to keep them closed.

Thanks

Edward

Posted: 01-31-2007 01:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
colinw59

The bulkhead vents provide forced (ram jet) ambient air to the floor, and operate independently from the ventilation/fan system. But both draw air from cowl intake under the rear of the hood. Did you try WD40 on the vent cables and actuating mechanisms? It's a very simple system without to much to go wrong. Good luck, Colin 

Posted: 01-31-2007 02:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
edward_davis

I didn't articulate myself very clearly, did I?  Oops!  What I meant was the metal control rods that operate the bulkhead vents, not the sliding knobby-things that operate the ball vents and defroster. 

My problem is the controls for the bulkhead vents are too slippery, so the bulkhead vents stay open all of the time, even when I firmly push them closed over and over again.

It does make sense, though, that they vent separate air from the heater.

Thanks,

Edward

Posted: 01-31-2007 02:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
colinw59

Slippery, unusual verbage! To increase the friction here remove any lubricant that may have been applied to the rods and replace the grommet that this rod passes through (your grommet may have worn out years ago, if it's even still there). If this doesn't do the trick, tweek these rods by carefully increasing or decreasing the bend in them, therefore increasing the friction between thie rod and the grommet. Good luck, Colin

Posted: 02-02-2007 12:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Jim Ketcham

As I recall, it is not the actuating rod that provides the resistance for the vent door, but a spring metal tab on the vent door itself.  This tab also acts as a lock stop so the door "clicks" into the closed position and stays there.  It sometimes needs some careful bending to adjust it properly.

Jim

Current time is 10:35 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Bulkhead Interior Vent Control Set-up? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems