Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Roll bar dimensions  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-28-2007 10:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
kfsmith

Does anyone have some measurements of their roll bar that they can give me. I'm considering making one out of some 2" d.o.m. tubing. I have access to benders and welders so I don't think this will be any trouble. Looking for overall height, width, mount plate size etc.

Thanks in advance

kevin

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-28-2007 06:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Judson Manning

Kevin,

My first suggestion is that you construct your roll bar to a specific standard unless you simply want one for its looks.  The SCCA is the largest amateur road racing organization out there, and most other clubs reference their standards when it comes to safety.  Alternatively, NHRA dominates drag racing and their specs are completely different. 

Again, if safety isn't your primary objective, anything goes.

Most roll cages are constructed from 1.5" x .095" DOM.  Heavier cars require 1.75", even heavier (i.e. Mustangs & Firebirds) require 1.75" x .120" DOM.  Roll bars are slightly different in requirements depending if you run Autocross (aka Solo 2) or Time Trials (aka Solo 1).  It is also different depending on your modifications, speed potential and class. 

Height is also a critical consideration, because the SCCA wants the bar 2" above your helmet.  At 5'10" tall, my Solo 1 bar is 3" ABOVE the JH top!  I have to bolt it in and out every time I race, but that is another story...

You can see the difference in a Solo 1 bar, and a 'decorative' bar in the two examples below.

http://jhppg.com/gallery/JH-GA/Image1

http://jhppg.com/gallery/JH-GA/Image3

Judson

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 11:31 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Roll bar dimensions Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems