Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Installing a racing harness

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Installing a racing harness  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-24-2007 01:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Joel

I'm poking around with installing a pair of harnesses on my car.  The old seat belts are actually gone and there's only a shoulder strap for both driver and passenger on the car.  I put in a roll bar recently so now I have lots of things to attach the harness to if I want to use that as my point.

My question is - what have other people done?  I'm wondering if I should use the roll bar or just put a bolt thru the pan on the shelf behind the seats. 

Any suggestions? 

I think the bar itself is too high and too close to the back of the seat to be viable for the attachment point.  But I could use the vertical supports.  Or should I just put a bolt thru the pan and be done with it? 

While I'm at it - I should share my stereo installation experience.  I had a bunch of help but I now have a really nice detachable face radio installed with a very nice set of Infinity speakers installed in the doors.  It took a little 'finaggling' with the sawzall to cut a couple of small 'slits' in the area that held the baby speakers that were originally installed.  But, a few taps later with a hammer, there was plenty of room for the magnets.  I was suprised and just how smoothly it did go.  And these speakers have separate tweeters so we installed these in the door by cutting thru the pleather and cardboard.  There's one hole in the door skin that fits a speaker VERY nicely.

For the rear I didn't want to bother with cutting thru the pan and trying to mount something there.  Neither did I want to dink around with building a box that would fit back around the roll bar to mount speakers.  The latter was my plan until I came across a unique solution.  I found some nice 6.5" wakeboard tower mounts.  These have clamps for mounting on the bars of wakeboard boats.  I mounted them low on the vertical supports of the rollbar.  They look really nice and clean. 

And it sounds pretty damn good too! I have no problem hearing my music now at 80mph under full accelleration - not that I would know mind you - but in theory anyway. . .

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-24-2007 11:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Ron Earp

Is your roll bar a single hoop design? If so, have someone come in and weld a cross bar going left to right at about shoulder height. Then use this bar for the rear harness restraints. I assume you have some sort of seat with holes for the shoulder harnesses?

On the lap bets and anti sub belts just use the belt hardware in place with large backing plates and go through the floor pan. Spread the load as much as possible so it won't pull through.

Ron

Posted: 01-25-2007 01:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
jcdean

I called Autopower and they made me 4 "D" tabs, sent me a 4' piece of welded seam mild steel tubing, and 2 end plugs about 2 inches long that just fit inside the tubing.  I cut the tubing to a lenght that fit between the bar uprights and  bolted the tabs onto the end plugs.  I then centered the the whole shebang (and extra set of hands was definately needed) and tacked the "D" tabs onto the main bar.  I then tacked the end plugs in place, unbolted it all, and welded it up solid.  I now have a harness bar that can be taken in and out if I so desire and does a great job at keeping me in the car.

Gonna go try and take some pictures really fast.

Joey

Edit:

OK, not the best photo's, but it makes my description understandable.

http://jhppg.com/gallery/album140

Last edited on 01-25-2007 01:42 am by jcdean

Posted: 01-25-2007 02:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Joel

Very very nice.  Only problem is mine's already installed and it looks really damn good - powder coated and all.  So I hate to start welding on it and goofing it up.  But, I really like yours so I might have to do something similar.

I was considering putting a bolt in each horizontal support.  The straps wouldn't be exactly behind you but I think they might be close enough. 

The bar looks pretty damn good though.  I think I might have to do something like that.

As for seats, I still have the originals.  The driver side is a little broken down and I've been considering what I want to do with it.  I'd like to put something with a leetle more support in it but I really dread mucking around with the rails and stuff. 

Joel

Current time is 10:58 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Installing a racing harness Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems