Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Pulled out my 907  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-11-2007 09:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
CMacksey

I started project euro-tuner by ripping out the 907. I know it's not going to run. But here is my question: What path should I take. I'm new to the world of Jensen's, so I don't know what get me the most money for the engine. Part out, restore, or sell as is?

It still has the 4-speed on it... Man, that gear box is tiny!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-11-2007 10:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

The exotic Lotus engine is the heart and soul of the Jensen Healey. Without the engine you have a muddled collection of Vauxhall , Sunbeam, English Ford, Lucas, Girling, Austin and Jaguar parts with an ill fitting top and rusted body that looks like a carp eating a cookie.

With the engine you have the chance at a 240hp screamer with a heart of LOTUS. Remember them? Formula One? Ground effects? Mario Andretti? World Championship? 

It's your car, have fun!

Kurt

Posted: 01-12-2007 01:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

I agree with Kurt -- where else can you find an affordable sports car whose engine is just one step away from a Formula 2 powerplant?  That said, of course it's your car and you can -- and should -- do what you think best with it.  But do please recall that with some changes, there's no going back.

As to the engine, my uninformed opinion -- which could well be far off the mark -- is that one that doesn't run is worth perhaps $50-$250; one that runs, maybe $300-$500; one that's been rebuilt by the owner, with full and complete documentation, perhaps $1000-$2000; and one that's been professionally rebuilt by a known competent rebuilder, maybe $2000-$5000 depending on state of tune.

Posted: 01-12-2007 12:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
jcdean

What year vehicle is the motor and tranny from and what is the odometer reading?

Joey

Posted: 01-12-2007 06:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
CMacksey

Thanks mark,

so hands down its worth expodentally more money if it runs

I'm swapping the engine, so I don't really want the 907

It's from a '74, not sure about the odometer reading, I'll get back to you on it.

Posted: 01-12-2007 11:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Ron Earp

CMacksey wrote: Thanks mark,

so hands down its worth expodentally more money if it runs

I'm swapping the engine, so I don't really want the 907

It's from a '74, not sure about the odometer reading, I'll get back to you on it.

Where are you located? I'm not that fond of the antiqued JH 9XX motor either but need a spare and parts. If local to NC you could sell it to me.

I agree with you, much better DOHC 4V 4 pots out there in this day and age. While in 1973 the 907 was something else, 1973 is almost as old as I am.

R

Posted: 01-13-2007 03:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
CMacksey

Hahaha, well I wish I could easily get ahold of an inline 4 like the 907 because it's a nice design.

At this point I'm not sure if I am going to keep it or not. I just started pulling it appart and I put it in a bath of engine cleaner. The manifolds, cams and valve covers came out as clean as a whisle and I'm thinking this may run again.

I just need to check the bottom end... One question... how the hell do you get it off? The screws inside the head?

I'm setting it up on an engine mount and going to take a deeper look at it.

Posted: 01-13-2007 06:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

You have to "split the case". Remove the oil pan and you will expose the nuts to the bearing panel. The hardest part is removing the oil pick-up tube.

Posted: 01-13-2007 11:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Ron Earp

You might want to get the shop manual for the car to help out with a lot of the disassembly. While short on pictures there is a lot of text that is descriptive.  There are lots of folks on the forum who can help you out as well.

Ron

Posted: 01-14-2007 02:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
smcmanus

If you want to get rid of it, please leave it together!

If you want to sell it, where are you located?  Where are you located anyway?

I'm currently working on mine and the engine is fascinating, complex, and sexy;  certainly the most interesting bit of the car.  A JH minus the engine is about as interesting as a Triumph Spitfire sitting in the woods with a tree growing through it.

Have a nice day

Steve

Posted: 01-14-2007 11:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
CMacksey

...I have to take off the oil pan... to get the head off? Well that's different

I'm located in Southern Vermont. I've only taken the valve cover off and cleaned off the head, cover, intake manifold and I was about to start rebuilding the carbs. Everything can be thrown back together realitivly easily. I was going to take it apart and put it back together in working order, but if you want it and make a decent offer I'll most deffinantly accept

I find the idea of 140-200 hp very dull. I have a Nissan 200SX that pulls between 120-145 and I find it incredibly slow. I've seen a straight-6 thrown in the Jensen before and I'd like to do the same

I want the car because of the suspension and looks.

Last edited on 01-14-2007 11:32 pm by CMacksey

Posted: 01-15-2007 04:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Oh, you want to access the top end of the bottom end?

To remove the head, first remove the cam carriers. This is no big deal because they are removed during each valve adjustment. This exposes the bolts that hold on the head.

Posted: 01-15-2007 05:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
CMacksey

Alright, I thought thats all it was, I was just making sure. Jumping from Asian, uniform engines to wacky European engine design is quite a jump =P

The water that somehow got into the head rusted one of the screws in the intake cam box beyond use... Looks like I'm going to have to pull out the screwdriver... and I hate just thinking about all the fun in that. But who knows, I'm power washing the engine tommorow so maybe I can get it off with a little wash down.

The oil that's still in the engine is unbelieveable.... it like... has the viscosity of glass.

Would anyone like to trade a body for an engine?

Last edited on 01-15-2007 05:53 pm by CMacksey

Current time is 01:48 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Pulled out my 907 Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems