Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Nuts and Bolts.  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-09-2005 09:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
themagicalswitch

I just started to take my project JH #15491 apart and MOST of the nuts and bolts are either stripped, rusted, or not the correct type to begin with.

Does Delta or the club store have any bolt sets, say for the engine, bodywork, trim, etc... Or am I going to have to source all of these bad boys out?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-09-2005 10:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Delta probably has everything you'd need, but it may be rather costly.  If you really need to replace the majority of the hardware, it might actually be less expensive to buy a parts car and scavenge from it, then sell the remains.  Alternately, you may be able to salvage a lot of the existing hardware if you invest in a tap and die set, and perhaps one of those home plating kits available from a variety of vendors.

Almost all of the engine hardware is metric, typically grade 8.8, though the 12mm studs and nuts used for the head and main bearing saddle might be grade 10.2.  If it's critical to keeping the engine together, I do advise buying from Delta -- it's really heartbreaking when an engine blows because a 20-cent part fails.

I'm told that the Getrag 5-speed transmission is entirely metric, though its design is old enough that some of its hardware may use one of the not-current-standard metric threads of which the Germans were once so fond.  I suppose that the best way to deal with the situation would be to buy the correct parts from a reputable vendor.

Some parts for the Stromberg carburetors, 4-speed transmission, and differential may use a variety of British threads.  In some cases, just identifying the thread will be a bit of a challenge.  Here, buy spares and scavenge from them, or buy the correct part from a reputable vendor.

Most of the remaining hardware, including the critical suspension bolts, is cadmium plated Grade 5 stuff using SAE threads.  The style of lock nut most often used isn't too common in the US but should be available.  In many cases, though, you can use Nylock lock nuts or even regular nuts and lock washers.

Unfortunately, many of the smaller hardware items are likely to be a bit difficult to find in the US.  This is due primarily to the use of Pozidrive rather than Phillips heads, but there are also a variety of pilot point screws that aren't ever seen at the local hardware store.  The hex head on the #10-32 screws used in a lot of places is the 'small pattern' head which is very rarely used in the US.  And some of the bits used to attach the bodywork trim are just plain peculiar even by British standards.

Good luck in getting your car restored.

Posted: 04-10-2005 01:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jim Ketcham

I put together a list of some of the hardware when I did my restoration.  I will email you my excel spreadsheet.  General rule is all body hardware is SAE and all engine hardware is metric.  I replaced most with stainless where strength and hardness allowed.

I found everything I needed at McMaster-Carr.  Prices are reasonable and shipping is absolutely fantastic.  They have an online catalog. (http://www.mcmaster.com)

Good luck,

Jim

Posted: 04-10-2005 02:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
themagicalswitch

WOW! That is amazing, thank you so much. I owe you one for sure.

Anthony

Posted: 04-11-2005 12:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Brian Kelly

Don’t forget your local hardware store.  Some of them have a very complete selection of English and metric fasteners in both steel and stainless.  I got a lot of what I need there.

Posted: 04-11-2005 01:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Alot of the nuts / bolts and screws can be salvaged just by sandblasting, I got a piece of card board and stuck screws and bolts into it  like cookies on a sheet and just blasted them clean, depending were they came from I either painted them the body color or silver, as for engine stuff I'd go with new there.

Posted: 04-12-2005 12:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Don Lenschow

If the regular JH suppliers don't have what you need you can try Metris & Multi Standards http://www.metricmcc.com/

Current time is 11:19 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Nuts and Bolts. Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems